Topic: Setting up Rails on blueHost

Hi,

Anybody use blueHost?  I don't know how similar it is to other hosts since this is the first one I've used with Rails.  Maybe somebody can help me.  I've created a folder and uploaded all the rails files to the server.  I've also created a database,  username, and changed the database.yml file to match. I also changed the environment .rb file because I was getting an error in the SSH window saying I didn't have the right gem.  So I commented out this part,

# Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not present
# RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.1.2'

I think for some reason it was looking for 1.1.2 which wasn't there and it wouldn't let me do any sort of migration.

So I'm up to the point where I have done all the migrations to the databse and set up the tables, I even checked in phpmyadmin to make sure that they were all there. 

Problem is when I go to any page in the app I just get code.  The only page that works right is the index page in the public folder. 

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Setting up Rails on blueHost

It sounds like your web browser is just spitting out the files directly.

Make sure your domain is being served from rails_folder/public and not just from rails_folder.  When you go to your site you should see nothing but the index.html page at first.

Delete the public/index.html page and see what happens.  Do you get a "directory listing denied" error?  If so, make sure your public/.htaccess and public/dispatch.(f)cgi files are present.

How do I set it up so that it goes to that folder?  When I go the site I have to type in the complete path to get the rails folders.  I don't know how to change it around so that it looks for the rails folder first and not the normal index page the host has.

Thanks,

Dan

It depends what kind of control panel BlueHost gives you.  I use DreamHost primarily and in their interface when I go to set up a domain or subdomain as a website it asks me what folder the files are in.  I point it to the public folder of my rails installation.

you may want to check out the administrative interface that bluehost gives you or else submit a support ticket and ask them to set it up themselves.