Topic: Trying to architect a web application with RoR but I seem to be stuck.

I want employees to fill out and submit timecard data.
I created a method in the employee controller called 'timecard' and a form 'timecard.html.erb' which loads some employee data as well as the employee child timecard records.  I have set up accepts_nested_attributes_for, belongs_to and has_many appropriately so that the child records are  automatically updated when 'submit' is clicked and the 'update' controller action is carried out and employee.update_attributes(...) updates the child records automatically.

This has worked beautifully until I tried to add some 'validates' properties to the employee model.  For example, I added:
validates :password, :confirmation => true, :presence => true, :length => { :within => 6..40}

But now when an employee submits their timecard and the 'update' action is called I get employee validation errors, 'password can't be blank' and 'password is too short'.

Is there some other way to submit the data, perhaps explicitly stating the <form action = 'something here' ..>
to redirect the submit to another controller action?  If I create another controller action I presumably still need to invoke employee.update_attributes(params;[:employee]), so how do I do this without invoking the 'login' and 'password' restrictions when the employee is only updating the child records?

Thanks in advance for any help.  --Fred

Re: Trying to architect a web application with RoR but I seem to be stuck.

validates :password, 
  :confirmation => true, 
  :presence => true, 
  :length => { :within => 6..40}, 
  :if => Proc.new {| employee | employee.new_record? }
Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.