Topic: Devise or other auth gems

Hey Rails Forum. I'm new to this forum and to rails development. I am starting to get a pretty decent grasp of the Ruby language, and how Rails itself works. I am looking to work out a simple custom auth system. Username, password, email will suffice. I would also like to add some custom properties to my User model. After googling around a bit today it seems that Devise is the preferred solution for using login. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using it? Or if there is a better solution that I haven't stumbled across yet?

Re: Devise or other auth gems

Devise is probably the best solution today, BUT it is fairly involved to learn and understand,  might not be the best approach for a rails neophyte. 

There are many tutorials for building a simple rails authentication system from scratch,  that may be your best bet until you have a real solid understanding of rails.

If you can find a railscast by Ryan Bates covering a simple authentication system , I'd start there.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

I'm in almost the same situation, I need to set up a robust authentication system for a RoR project.
I found this video cast that I think is the one BradHodges told,
the video is quite old but lets you understand how to work with Devise, moreover here and here the are two recent tutorial.

I have another question which I didn't found yet an answer.
Devise will help me to avoid this situation? :
User X write the post number 3.
User Y write the post number 5.

User X type into the url bar the post number 5 address to edit: localhost:3000/post/5/edit

What happens? May Devise take care of the "ownership" of the data and avoid the editing by other user?
I didn't understand this yet but I think it should avoid this situation.

There is a Ryan Bates rails cast that covers that exact topic.  It's not the topic of the Railscast per say,  but in it he shown how to avoid JUST that situation.

It wasn't a devise related topic,  it was related to dynamic forms,  sorry I can't remember which one though.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.