Topic: Wanting to use ror for the first time - In over my head?

I have never used Rails or Ruby for anything, but I've been interested in learning it for quite some time now. I was recently hired as a contractor to redevelop/redesign a company's website (built in PHP). After accomplishing that, they were also looking to develop a completely new e-commerce type web application. This site would not be simple, but I would have few problems doing it in PHP. Fortunately, the company and my manager are very flexible, so I figured, why not take this chance to use rails?

However, after my initial exploration into this framework, I'm becoming quite nervous. There are plenty of books/tutorials out there to help you get a basic ror website out in a weekend. But, whenever I recognize a point where I will need to customize something different from the status quo, it takes me a ridiculously long time to figure how to accomplish said task. (ex: database design, foreign keys, connecting to multiple databases). And actually this thread somewhat mimics my concerns: http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=31477

Now, here's my problem: has anyone else been faced with the following? I now know there will be a larger learning curve for RoR than I was planning for. And I need to make a language/framework decision quite soon. Given my experience level, would people recommend I still try and implement this in rails? There's no better learning experience than jumping in the fire, right?

Or would it be a better decision to go with what I know (a php framework like CakePHP) and adapt to rails on my own over a longer period of time? This company is paying to get this done well within a certain time frame. What if I have problems delivering?

An additional bit you should know is that I come form an OO background, and I am quite familiar with blocks (closure) and the Ruby everything-is-an-object approach thanks to JavaScript. I am not worried about the basic concepts - just the framework learning curve itself.

Thanks

Re: Wanting to use ror for the first time - In over my head?

RailsBridge ( http://railsbridge.org ) will very (very) shortly be launching the Rails Mentors. This is a program that will match mentors with mentees, and I think would be a perfect fit for someone like you who has a good deal of programming experience, but could benefit from having a person you could turn to for guidance about how to do more customized things. Often, this is just as simple as knowing which materials the mentee should read out of the morass of available materials.

If you're interested, ping me off-list and I'll put you in contact with the right people to get you started.

What's the time frame?

A day, unless something goes wrong.

danabrit wrote:

RailsBridge ( http://railsbridge.org ) will very (very) shortly be launching the Rails Mentors. This is a program that will match mentors with mentees, and I think would be a perfect fit for someone like you who has a good deal of programming experience, but could benefit from having a person you could turn to for guidance about how to do more customized things. Often, this is just as simple as knowing which materials the mentee should read out of the morass of available materials.

If you're interested, ping me off-list and I'll put you in contact with the right people to get you started.

The program definitely sounds interesting. I sent you an email about it to the address in your profile. Thanks.

Johnson wrote:

What's the time frame?

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post or that of danabrit. But I should have stated it anyway. The timeframe is somewhat flexible, but I know they want something up and running by this fall. I guess that would be 4-5 months. However, it is very possible that I'll be the only developer, in charge of the database, server-side code, and front-end development.

They sell very specific products, and will need to take the user through a workflow interface, similar to progressive.com or any of those online income tax websites.

I don't have any idea with this timeframe. But, well thanks for he info's here. But talking about that online income tax I must say tax is inevitable. Online tax is just new for us, but the charity tax deduction this is somehow an growing tax innovation  today. Actually, most taxpayers — about two-thirds, according to daily Finance — take the standard deduction and do not itemize their return. However, to receive a deduction for charitable contributions, itemization is necessary.The Internal Revenue Service knows that taxpayers routinely inflate the value of charitable contributions on their tax returns. As a result, the tax bureau examines these items specifically closely.

Source for this article: Deducting charitable gifts and avoiding an audit.

It is very important to evaluate presents fairly and transparently if a taxpayer wishes to claim the deductions and avoid an audit. The following recommendations may help.