Topic: Transmitting files across computers

I've got a problem maybe you can help me with.

I do a lot of work on a project at both work and home and I'm trying to get admin rights to my computer, but in the interim I have to find alternate ways of transmitting my files, and I was wondering if you had any good ways about doing this.  Here's the rundown:

1) USB doesn't work, hardware install banned
2) FileHosting doesn't work, proxy blocked
3) I created an upload file module on my Rails site and it sometimes works, but I'm running Rails on Webrick (my Apache stopped booting so I have to reconfig) and it's down as much as it's up
4) Email *sometimes* works, but I have to name it as a .txt (not .rar) and even then it seems to block the file sometimes (because it detects a .js in there).  Problem is I won't know if it worked or not until I get home (webmail banned) and if it was blocked I lose a night of work.

I think I might have to resort to digging up some FLOPPIES!  ACK!  Maybe you guys know something that is pretty reliable and that I can sort of verify while I'm at work?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Transmitting files across computers

What about Subversion? Have you looked into that as an option?

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I use Subversion at home, but I haven't created any sort of on-line repository.  Is that very difficult to do?

It depends. There are several free services out there that offer subversion hosting. Some are easier to set up than others. I don't know of any off the top of my head that don't require the project be open source, but perhaps someone else knows of some?

Last edited by ryanb (2006-08-03 19:42:23)

What about file hosting is blocked? FTP use?  Certain sites?  I don't know if it helps you, but AOL just announced that XDrive is going free next month... so you could upload 5GB of files and access them anywhere for free.

Alternatively, what about using gMail?

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/ … ystem.html

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

My company blacklists "file sharing" sites, so every site I hit searching for "file upload" was blocked.  I might be able to find one that hasn't been blacklisted yet.

Though that GMailFS does seem intriguing.  I didn't see anything on the page about regarding 1) if my company blocks GMail the GMailFS can still make the connections it needs and 2) if anything I try to put on the GMailFS will go through the same virus scanners as the things I email.  Maybe you'd know, but I'll definitely check it out.

If the project is work related, and they don't mind you working on it at home. I'd talk to your system's admin/management about giving you access to whatever resources you need to work on the project at home. Seems better than trying to work around the limitations they set. They also might have concerns about security as far as the code going outside their firewall.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I see in your original post that you are already working on getting access.

Last edited by ryanb (2006-08-04 12:02:00)

Shoot.  Sounds like it's time to find a better company to me:) I keed of course...kind of...

If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs.

-SICP (Abelson, Sussman)