Topic: Moving an app from machine to machine.

I currently have an app running on a Rails 1.1.6 / Ruby 1.8.5 Server and want to take this configuration and move it to a Rails 3.2.2 / Ruby 1.9.3 Server. Is there a standard practice for moving apps, and then evaluating log files for deployment issues from machine to machine. If so, I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Re: Moving an app from machine to machine.

I would start by moving the app to a local machine that has rvm installed, and then work on revising the app to use the newer versions of Rails and Ruby. So much has changed between those versions, your app is almost certainly going to need some revisions.

Re: Moving an app from machine to machine.

That is a very long journey.  I would start by getting the app running in ROR 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3,3.0, 3.1 and then 3.2.  Around 2.0 you probably want ruby 1.8.7 and around 2.3 or 3.0 ruby 1.9

Taking small steps like this will make the job more feasable.  If it is just a small site I would keep the database definitions and html.erb files and scaffold an approximation in the latest version and rewrite it from that start on a late version.