Topic: Showing Driver Name instead of ID

I am learning Rails.  I have looked for a while and have two current challenges but I'm focusing on one here.  It took me some time to to figure out the foreign ID and to make the form work.  I originally thought I needed a nested model but clearly I only needed a foreign key (beginners confusion). 

I have two models/tables:

Trip with fields (:driver_id and :begin)
Driver (:name)

These two tables are associated as follows (Feel free to tell me if I'm modeling this incorrectly):

Trip has_many :drivers
Drivers belongs_to :Trip

I am using simple form for _form.html.erb here:

<%= simple_form_for(@trip) do |f| %>
  <%= f.error_notification %>
  <%= f.input :begin %>
  <%= f.association :drivers, :as => :check_boxes %>
<%= f.error :base %>
<%= f.button :submit %>
<% end %>

I want to show the driver name on the main index view in this file /views/trips/index.html.erb instead of the :id:

<% @trips.each do |trip| %>
  <tr>

<td><%= trip.driver_id %></td>

<td><%= trip.begin %></td>
    <td><%= link_to 'Show', trip %></td>
    <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_trip_path(trip) %></td>
    <td><%= link_to 'Destroy', trip, method: :delete, data: { confirm: 'Are you sure?' } %></td>
  </tr>

I would assume that instead of trip.driver_id I'd use drivers.name instead. 

Secondary issues:

When I'm creating a trip, selecting the driver with a checkbox, it does not save/show the actual driver on the index.

Last edited by veex (2012-06-29 11:10:57)

Re: Showing Driver Name instead of ID

veex wrote:

I would assume that instead of trip.driver_id I'd use drivers.name instead. 

That would be trip.driver.name

I changed:
<td><%= trip.driver_id %></td>

to trip.drivers.id

This worked to display the drivers name.  However I still have the secondary issue.  It just displays "DRIVER" for all trips.  It's not displaying the actual name of the driver.

The foreign key :drivers_id in the CREATE NEW TRIP is not being persisted to my trips table.  Therefore it doesn't know what driver is being dispatched to the trip.

It just displays "DRIVER" for all trips.  It's not displaying the actual name of the driver.thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rc Hobby|rc helicopters reviews