Topic: Installing Plugins on Shared Hosting?

I can't find any good resources for this.  I want to install a decent search engine and this pagination plugin: ( http://errtheblog.com/post/929 ).  I think this is going to be a problem because I need to use svn to install the plugin.

I don't think my host has anything installed other than the basic rails installation.  Can someone point me to some resources on how to work around this?

Re: Installing Plugins on Shared Hosting?

Just drop the plugin in your app's vendor/plugins directory, then upload your app to the server.

vinnie - rails forum admin

When installing the plugin (using script/plugin) pass the "-x" option. This will put it in your SVN repository as well so when you checkout the code for your project on the server it will check out the plugin.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Sorry for taking a while to respond.  I didn't realize, but this plugin is creating a dependency error.  Soes anyone know what I need to resolve it?

=> Booting WEBrick...
./script/../config/../vendor/plugins/will_paginate/lib/finder.rb:6:in `included': undefined method `alias_method_chain' for #<Class:ActiveRecord::Base> (NoMethodError)
        from script/../config/../vendor/plugins/will_paginate/init.rb:4:in `load_plugin'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/initializer.rb:348:in `load_plugin'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in `silence_warnings'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/initializer.rb:348:in `load_plugin'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/initializer.rb:158:in `load_plugins'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/initializer.rb:158:in `load_plugins'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/initializer.rb:102:in `process'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/initializer.rb:42:in `run'
         ... 6 levels...
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/server.rb:30
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in `require'
        from ./script/server:3

Does the plugin require Rails 1.2? I can't remember if alias_method_chain is available in 1.1.6 or not. That may be the problem.

Argh, it looks like it's most definitely a version problem.  My host only has version 1.1.6 installed so I think I'm screwed at the moment.

If alias_method_chain is the only thing in the plugin that requires 1.2 you can try replacing that with two alias calls. See this post for details.

You may also want to try freezing to Rails 1.2 on the host.

I appreciate the suggestions.  I think i'm just going to switch over to slice host (www.slicehost.com) so that I have complete control over everything.  Plus I have a decent amount of linux admin experience so it shouldn't be too hard.  I just am not crazy about only having 10gb ro work with.