Topic: New Look for my Blog. What do you think?

http://blog.techism.com/posts/10

High-Tech Creative Services http://new.techism.com/

Re: New Look for my Blog. What do you think?

I like it, nice work.

Right on man. You did a great job! smile Awesome design, yet very functional.

It's getting harder to find people who is a designer, yet a very efficient programmer at the same time, it seems that's it's one or the other.

Did you design your company logo also?

Most designers just use a WSIWYG, and the code ends up being so fragile, it's like walking on thin ice... LOL

It's awesome to say you wrote something without just clicking buttons...

Anyway, good job man, looks good.

Thanks!  I'm not a GOOD programmer, but I am trying!  Rails helps by forcing me to learn the right ways to do things, even though it takes me forever and I've got a LOT of catching up to do.

Yeah, the logo and everything are all my work.  I'm much more of a guru about the creative stuff and a totaly schmuck on the technical stuff - It's just that to design web pages you HAVE to learn to MAKE them.  These days, the pressure to do web application and more sophisticated programming is just too intense to resist.  I used to be kinda smart, so I try to keep up with this stuff.

I pride myself on having a good mastery of the HTML / CSS side of things.  Just finished the final pass to get this 100% valid w3c spec.   Haven't tried a validation on the style sheets yet.  I know the moz-radius stuff won't validate per se, but that's fine with me.  It's too cool to pass up big_smile

I'll be cleaning this up as I work and fine tuning it. 

I plan to use it as a spring-board for a techism 2.0 look that will drive all my future materials including two new applications I'm sketching up right now.

portfolio & review.

High-Tech Creative Services http://new.techism.com/

Thats awesome man.

Yeah, with everyone having a site, and there being such a need, there is always a need to learn how to develop them faster, and more efficiently. I used to only write in PHP, and I'd have to write my own classes to communicate with databases, then write the forms which passed variables to the database, and call them back, and so on. Then I'd have PHP do all the client side tricks on the fly for me instead of JavaScript, so even if someone had JavaScript disabled, it'd still work. Things like "multi tiered/leveled" combo boxes, and I'd use case statements, and have the next combo box only appear once a selection was made on the first, and so on.

But, it was always so time consuming and it'd take me days.

Then I remember trying to write my own dynamic web calendar with PHP and a mySQL backend. I never did finish that. I'd have to write in values manually every month for every table cell, and it just wasn't worth the time. So I ended up investing in easyPHPcalendar for that.

So, I just kept hearing about Ruby on Rails, and to me it was like taboo. So I think I'd check it out, and in not too long, fell in love with it. It does half the work for me! I can write a fully functional, database driven site in say an hour (for something rather simple anyway), as opposed to day(s).

Yeah, learning how to do everything the right way is awesome. One thing is for sure, you do it the right way the first time, you save time on having to go back and fix it later. Ruby in general does have a bit of a learning curve because it defies everyday syntax of C like languages including PHP in various ways. I mean sure, you still got your if, else, for, do, while, etc.. But the way you structure the syntax, and handle things is like white and black opposed to most languages.

You know what I would honestly suggest, and it's something I'm just barely doing that I should've done a long time ago, and truly learn Ruby by itself. You'll understand Rails completely at that point once you know how it's insides work. I'm tired of all this C, Perl, Python, etc.. scripting and automation when you can do the entire thing with Ruby.

Don't get me wrong, I still love C(++), Java, and PHP, but Ruby gives you a better way once you learn how.

Once I learn the ins and outs of Ruby, I plan on making a new hosting CP written entirely in Ruby and Rails. I was thinking of calling it something like redPanel. I'll figure that out later though... tongue. cPanel is too freaking expensive, and webmin is a bit too primitive looking.

Because once I get my technology solutions company off the ground, and I start offering web and VPS hosting, I want to use something that I know how it works intimately.

Anyway, sorry... I get rambling when I get talking about some things, and end up writing novels, LOL. So before I start chapter 3 here, I'll cut it off here... big_smile

Hamoth,

Great work on the design, very clean!  I think I am kinda in the same boat as you, I have been more involved with the creative side of things, but I am trying to ease my way into learning the backend stuff, and RoR seemed to make the most sense out of everything that I have been looking into.

jmbrink26,

I would love to be involved in your rails hosting cp if it ever comes to fruition.  I think that would be awesome, especially since there is not really any open-source cp out there that even comes close to the commercial offering, at least not that I have been able to find, and doing it in Rails would make it just that much better!

I too am in the process of really digging in deep and trying to learn ruby, as this seems to always be my weak link when I am trying to accomplish something with RoR and get stuck.

Hello. Congratulations on your new design!

Looks good, but one recommendation: you may want to try other anti-aliasing options for the text under your logo ("Fine Purveyors..."). Try "sharp" or "crisp" in Photoshop to make it look nicer.

Good job

Victor

hey your blog looks great, keep up the good work.

job well done!....keep it up

Looks pretty nice, you are a far better designer than i: www.agmprojects.com

Nice blog with good piece of information.I appreciate you idea for providing the blog here,I just want to suggest you that make the blog more attractive with the help of graphics.You should also add more information regarding to the point.

The blog is very nice. I like that. I get a great idea from that.

Really its great. like this smile

I'm not familiar in ruby - rails programming... Where can I find some tutorials on it? Please help me. I want to learn it.

Last edited by Susannah (2010-07-16 08:59:28)

I would agree that every creative project is different, every company needs their own process and a good design staff should know how to tailor the process to fit their needs.

Hello. Congratulations on your new design!