Topic: Rails Job Market

Hey everyone, this is my 1st non problem post as I thought I would contribute to community side of the forum more.

I am currently a full time junior XHTML/CSS designer, but have started learning Ruby on Rails as I really want to be fluent in a development language to open up more job opportunities to me in the future. I had started learning PHP and use some basic Classic ASP (this is the worst language ever) with our developers at work.

I know Rails is a new language but do you think that it is a technology that is likely to be adopted by larger agencies and enterprise developments? I know from listening to PHP discussions there is still a "battle" to get PHP recognized as a commercial/enterprise level language like .NET and Java and in turn get the same salary levels for PHP developers as .NET & Java.

In short I know Ruby & Rails are fast, creative & flexible but do you think it is a language that will develop and have longevity?

Re: Rails Job Market

Opel wrote:

I know Rails is a new language but do you think that it is a technology that is likely to be adopted by larger agencies and enterprise developments? I know from listening to PHP discussions there is still a "battle" to get PHP recognized as a commercial/enterprise level language like .NET and Java and in turn get the same salary levels for PHP developers as .NET & Java.

Rails's culture basically mocks anything "enterprise". Jobs are available but the bigger the company the less likely they're using Rails right now. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate.

vinnie - rails forum admin

I don't think that I'd be at that leavel for a fair number of years. I know forecasting is hard in the web world but just thought some of the more hard core Rails people on here may have some ideas with the way the language is moving.

I know that from a lot of colleagues of mine, as well as myself have kind of... ditched (?) PHP in a way and fully went about learning Ruby and Rails.  I personally think Rails is great, but I will find out if my educated guess in the technology "debate" will be the correct one going with the Ruby/Rails combo.