Topic: shopping cart...help!

Hey guys, I'm new to rails...like, 2 days new! and i need to learn how to make a shopping cart? any help???

Re: shopping cart...help!

At "2 days new" I would recommend going through a tutorial that teaches how to build a shopping cart.  This is a good one:

http://pragprog.com/titles/rails4/agile … with-rails

This will only help you make the cart.  To fulfill the cart (and take a payment) I would need to know more about who you have (or want) to handle your payments.

I'm so abstract that automatic doors at grocery stores do not even open for me. - @thatdankent

I'm sure the book is very nice, however, telling someone to buy a book isn't the same as 'read the manual'; to reiterate the OP how can one learn to make a shopping cart ... without a $25 book.

telling someone to buy a book isn't the same as 'read the manual'

Yes it is!

AWDWR is the bible for the majority of Rails devs - The pdf is considered to be almost essential. You will see that this book is recommended on the Rails website http://rubyonrails.org/ under the "get better" link. It's in an iterative release process if purchased from pragprog.com and is regularly updated for free within the version of the book you have purchased and is often recommended reading by many devs on this forum.

$24 (current price) is nothing when compared to the hours and hours of trawling and looking for answers. It's the book that was recommended to me when I fiorst joined this forum and it's how come I knopw so much about Rails. Go read it! you won't regret it

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

I agree here.  You can't learn to program overnight, and someone who doesn't know anything can easily create dangerous code.  If OP needs a shopping cart that bad he can go to a site like shopify.com and set one up.  If he wants to learn to program, he needs to invest the money and buy that book.  It's essential reading for any rails programmer.

jamesw wrote:

telling someone to buy a book isn't the same as 'read the manual'

Yes it is!

AWDWR is the bible for the majority of Rails devs - The pdf is considered to be almost essential. You will see that this book is recommended on the Rails website http://rubyonrails.org/ under the "get better" link. It's in an iterative release process if purchased from pragprog.com and is regularly updated for free within the version of the book you have purchased and is often recommended reading by many devs on this forum.

$24 (current price) is nothing when compared to the hours and hours of trawling and looking for answers. It's the book that was recommended to me when I fiorst joined this forum and it's how come I knopw so much about Rails. Go read it! you won't regret it