Re: Introduce yourself!

genevate wrote:
furui wrote:

De Anza-Foothill

Ahh... my second guess, third would have been Santa Clara...fourth San Jose.

Used to live in Sunnyvale and went to Cogswell, that's why I ask.

Ah, how are the programs there?

furui wrote:

Ah, how are the programs there?

eh..if your into 3D modeling I guess they are good. Not so much if your into web dev...but then again that was about 7 years ago. Things could have changed. You have to like small schools too.

Hi there,

There's not much to say;  I'm a student and a webmaster.  I usually hire freelancers to take care of all the programming but I leave the basic/personal projects to myself.  I've taken a few courses on Java and I've been programming in PHP for about 2 years, but I'm still pretty bad at both.

I'm completely new to ROR, we'll see if I like it.

Max

I am a full time web designer in Edinburgh who works 99% of the time in CSS/XHTML save for the occasional flash advert. I also promote and dj and my own house club night, as  aresult of my involvement in the club scene I do a lot of freelance graphic design work for club industry. My 2 portfolio is at http://www.gunkdesign.co.uk & http://www.gunk-design.co.uk need to find time to put the to together and finish it off.

I have a intermediate knowledge of ASP/PHP from doing a few small sites at work. I am really trying to get into Ruby and Rails as I really want to do more programming as I'm fed up coding CSS all day and editing clients images for sites sad

I have a degree in Consumer Product design so I can grasp using both sides of my brain just have to decided which side to focus on. I'm a beginner on the Ruby and Rails stuff but if anyone has questions about CSS/XHTML, basic Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver or general design then I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Last edited by Opel (2007-01-11 08:28:23)

Hi. My name's Huw and I am one of the developers of the Ruby In Steel IDE for developing Ruby and Rails applications in Visual Studio 2005. I've also written a free eBook on Ruby called "The Little Book Of Ruby" and I am currently writing a bigger book on the same subject. Apart from that, I've been a programmer (Delphi, C#, Java, Smalltalk etc.) for more years than I care to admit to, I used to write programming columns for UK magazines (PC Plus, PC Pro and others) and I now publish an online programming magazine called Bitwise.

Glad to have found this forum. I look forward to talking about Ruby and Rails shortly.

best wishes

Huw

thought I'd pop in here and say hi to everyone.

I am currently a graphic artist at a company that sells products to graphic artists.  I'm looking into using ruby on rails and flex for our site.  Despite the fact this is all fun, and Ruby looks like the language I never had, from back when I was programming for a living, I can't wait to get on with my visual work!

Name: Michael Gregoire

Hi everyone. I've posted a couple times previously, but I'm just now getting around to introducing myself.

I'm trained as a graphic designer, but have evolved over the past few years into also developing the back end of sites as well. I started using PHP and have recently moved on to ROR. I've also begun programming desktop apps for OSX.

Nice to meet everyone.

Peace
Mike

Last edited by mGee (2007-01-23 15:31:46)

Name: Fran

Since I've been posting here quite regularly I thought it about time I introduce myself.  I'm currently doing a "general purpose" IT job where I keep a Joomla website up-to-date, an Access/VBA database regularly bug-free, and assist and advise in other IT areas.  This basically means I get asked to do anything related to IT even if I don't have a clue (which is more than often the case).

I've been a hobbyist web programmer ever since University where I first came into contact with programming languages (well, other than Basic on the Vic 20, which hardly counts).  I wrote my own php blog software back when blogger was in it's infancy, but soon gave up because I got invited to LJ, I started my own CMS but then went to Joomla because it was the easiest option.  I'm just not very good at finishing things.

I first learnt about Ruby/Rails at a meeting  a few months before Christmas (sure, I'd heard the phrase Ruby on Rails before but I didn't really pay much attention).  I "apt-got" ruby when I returned then followed the OnLamp tutorial.  I was smitten with the language and vowed to write my own software in it.  But, as usual, nothing ever got completed (or really started).

When I realised that I would need to develop a new website for work I weighed up the pros and cons between using Joomla again or trying to roll my own.  Ruby on Rails tempted me and so here I am.  I'm trying to use best programming practices - many of the buzz words are new to me although a lot of concepts I remember from my degree some six years ago now.  I'm really enjoying learning more about Rails and actually being able to do something productive with this knowledge.

So there's my rather long and rambling introduction.  Thanks to everyone who bothers to read this, and helps me with my far-too-frequent questions!

Name: Steven Devonport
What brought you to Rails Forum? I was searching for something - def. not Ruby/Rails though!
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Professionally - I don't. But I have an idea to design a suite of test tools that work along the lines of Rails and that's why I'm studying RoR and Ruby in general. Personally - I'm building a web application to record our board game gaming sessions.

Last edited by devonps (2007-02-01 09:31:11)

devonps wrote:

Personally - I'm building a web application to record our board game gaming sessions.

What a fun idea! Sounds like a useful and entertaining app. I might have to try that. smile

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:
devonps wrote:

Personally - I'm building a web application to record our board game gaming sessions.

What a fun idea! Sounds like a useful and entertaining app. I might have to try that. smile

I'd be happy to share my approach/ideas/db design - considering how helpful you've been, email: devonps(at)ntlworld(dot)com :-)

Name: Stephen Ausman
What brought you to Rails Forum?: Well i regged rorbb.com a while back, and after seeing a link to railsforum in either vin or josh's sitepoint sig i decided it would be a good place to ask.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't know rails very well so I can't tell you exactly how i use it, but i have plans.

Name:Budiyono Salim
What brought you to Rails Forum?: by Googling big_smile
How do you use Ruby/Ror? I'm using rails for my thesis starts from zero,,,I wonders if i could make it...:D

Name: Paul Tomes

What brought you to Rails Forum?: Google... Looking for a decent community

How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I found RoR almost by accident when I had recently finished a lengthy and complicated PHP5 OOP project. I was genuinely stunned at what I was missing out on, promptly dropped PHP and have replaced my reference books with a pile of ruby and rails books!

It is surprising how quickly I am learning to enjoy programming and designing again. It's great! I simply cannot express the difference even a month has made with RoR.

Name: Zak
What brought you to Rails Forum?: Google
How do you use Ruby/Ror? I would think the same way anyone else does, to build webpages super-fast with half the code of other languages.

ROR is THE *****!

Name:  LeeJay Dillon
What brought you to Rails Forum? Google search and needed some help
How do you use Ruby/ Ruby on Rails?   I am using it to develop a site for tracking hockey stats and to eventually ramp that up to a site that does hockey pools and such.

Name: Jon
What brought you to Rails Forum? Looking for a good Rails community, this was top of the Google picks and looked to be the most active.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Still learning, just embarking on my first project.  All being well, have plans for a good few projects I'd like to use it for (a couple of niche social networks).

I can't stop thinking about Rails. Can't sleep, can't eat, can't concentrate on work. It must be love.

devonps wrote:

Name: Steven Devonport

Not even close sonny!  I've got five years on you.

Allen

Thought I'd do this.  Why not.

Name: Drew T.
What brought you to Rails Forum? Google
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Personal/Client projects - I'm mostly into server integration stuff.  A good friend and I started up a web application development company almost a year ago, it's going pretty well for now.  Hopefully it'll start to take off in the next two years or so.

Hello everyone,

just  thought I'd introduce myself a little bit here:

Hobbies: Making screencasts (see: http://www.showmedo.com), learning Rails

I'm just starting out with Rails (I have ordered the agile book - hope it arrives on Monday!) so I might be asking some rather stupid questions in the future (I hope you don't mind that).