Topic: help with rvm post-install problems

I really would like some basic idea of what I'm doing with rvm and not have to hack it when I apparently mess things up.

For instance -- this is my current issue.   I added the restful-authentication gem for a rails > 3.0.  And it installed rails 2.3.14.  My default was 3.2.8.   This is ruby 1.9.2.   I uninstalled the 2.3.14 rails, but it still says that is my default.  And I have no idea why this is doing that.   

rvm is also only listing one version of ruby and i believe I had installed multiple versions;  but I have uninstalled it, and reinstalled it many times when I was getting it to work with Passenger, and I really don't want to go through that again.   

Should I just uninstall rails reinstall it, and this will give me the current version?
And I guess -- moreso -- what exactly is happening;  what am I doing wrong thats causing this so I can avoid doing this in the future.

Thanks,  for my newbie questions.

Re: help with rvm post-install problems

ok, i got this working by doing gemset create rails 3, and then gem install rails --pre
was this the way to go about this?

You don't need the --pre.  That will install a beta version of rails.  You should be able to use the --default flag to specify a particular gemset as a default.  Also, on an unrelated note, while you can probably still use restful_authentication with rails 3.2.x, it's not really needed.  Rails 3.1 makes it really easy to build your own authentication system.

Please see the following article on how to create an authentication system:
http://richonrails.com/articles/authent … -rails-3-1

Good luck!

Late response but thanks.    I actually did just what you suggested re/ restful authentication some time ago once I realized I could implement it faster and with less code than a gem.   I initially do try to use gems as resources to speed up development, but as I've tested out code in production -- especially on shared hosting -- I'm starting to realize only essential gems should be included.   Although they make excellent reference material.   I find a lot of - even simple -- apps  consume more resources than I want to.   So I must not be setting up caching correctly or running unnecessary queries.  Anyway, out of the scope of this forum and question.