Topic: Page routing fails on Hostgator subdomain

Hi all,

I have a hostgator site running WordPress, and I wanted to see if I could get anything going with RoR on the same account. I created a subdomain, and everything correctly directs traffic from to my rails app.

I used "script/generate scaffold Task name:string", and it correctly created views and added routes to config/routes.rb. However, when I navigate to, Chrome returns with "Oops! This link appears to be broken.".

Troubleshooting, I deleted public/index.html and added the route "root :controller => 'TasksController', :action => 'index'" to config/routes.rb in order to see if the tasks view would work from However, the page now returns "Error 6 (net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The file or directory could not be found."

Does anyone know why might fail to return anything? Or why my route for root fails to redirect to the tasks index? Or general debugging advice for figuring this out myself?

(I'm a professional developer in C#/ASP.NET and PHP, but I'm completely new to ruby. Any advice is much appreciated!)

Last edited by templewulf (2012-11-08 00:26:27)