Topic: Learning Ruby and proving your knowledge

Hey all,

My name's Nathaniel. I'm a co-founder of a new company called MetaBright. I think what we've made would be of interest to a lot of people here, so I wanted to briefly tell you about it and ask for your feedback.

We built MetaBright because we believe that people should be recognized for their skills and abilities. We think it's better to demonstrate what you can DO as a programmer, as opposed to saying what companies you've worked for, or where you went to school. And when you can be a part of a community of talented people all showing off their chops, we think learning programming (or any skill really) is way easier and more enjoyable.

For people who are new to programming or RoR, you can use MB to track your initial progress, discover what to learn next, and get inspired by the awesome answers of our community.

For people who are already experienced programmers, you can use MB to demonstrate and showcase your skills, while casually competing with others. And who knows, you might learn a thing or two as well ;-)

If any of this resonates with you, I'd love it if you'd check out the site and let me know what you think. http://www.metabright.com/challenges/rubyonrails

We want to continue to get better and would appreciate your feedback. (And by the way, we built MetaBright in RoR!)

Thanks!

Re: Learning Ruby and proving your knowledge

Interesting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but for whatever reason had visions of a game-y LinkedIn. I found the responses to be useful and actually pretty clever. Pretty impressed that most of what I saw was high quality. I'd focus more on the profiles though. It seems like there's a lot of customization you can do there that you're not taking advantage of yet. I'd want more control over the answers that get promoted there. Some sort of bookmarking feature would be great

Re: Learning Ruby and proving your knowledge

Hey there, yep, we plan on doing A LOT more with profiles. We see this as the really killer difference maker for us. We're going to enable a bunch of customization options so everyone can highlight the awesome things they're proud of on MetaBright. We also recognize that you may want to display different things to different people. (ex. I may want to showcase my fantasy football knowledge to my friends, but would prefer that potential employers saw my Ruby skills.) And to your point about a bookmarking feature, I think it's a great idea. It'd be super useful as a way to organize what you want to do and guide what you should tackle next. Thanks for the thought!

And thank you for signing up!