Topic: iframes with RoR

Hi all,

I'm working on the first steps of an application with RoR that will use frames (iframes) for displaying the User Interface. I'm still learning most about Ruby on Rails so I would like to know if there are some potential inconvinience or risk about using iframes in a RoR application.

My guess is that it shouldn't, since the UI is independent from the rest of the application thanks to the view layer in the MVC model. However, I would really need some confirmation of this from soemone with more experience than me (which is only 2 months long), or any comments about using frames on RoR that could be useful.

I know it may be a too general question but any comments or links to any document about this subject would be very useful for me.

Many Thanks in advance!

Re: iframes with RoR

Why do you need to use an iframe? I can't think of anything in an iframe that can't be done better some other way.

vinnie - rails forum admin

It's a requirement for the application I'm doing. What would you use instead of iframes?

mac_freelancer wrote:

It's a requirement for the application I'm doing.

That doesn't explain anything. I doubt there's a line item in your project plan that says "use iframes". Why does your application require iframes?

mac_freelancer wrote:

What would you use instead of iframes?

I can't tell you if I don't know what you're trying to accomplish wink

vinnie - rails forum admin