Topic: Request: tutorial covering how to develop locally, and on a host

Hi there,

Probably the most challenging thing for me with Rails is understanding how I go from building a website on my local machine (Windows XP), and then getting that code up to my host in a professional, effective, organized way. There are plenty of tutorials covering developing in RoR, but none--that I can find--that cover the overall development cycle. Such a tutorial would be extremely helpful to me.

Anyone willing to write something up on this--for myself and the community?

-Abe

Re: Request: tutorial covering how to develop locally, and on a host

Are you talking about deploying your app? Because you shouldn't be "developing" on your host since most hosting companies expressly forbid that kind of thing.

vinnie - rails forum admin

I recommend you read up on Capistrano, the Rails deployment utility. I'll put this down as a "future tutorial", but the manual covers it pretty well.

Most code examples are usually pulled out of the air and not tested. Use at your own risk!

One reason it's difficult to write a tutorial on this is that the details are somewhat host specific. You may try looking up Capistrano tutorials for your host. I know there's plenty out there for Dreamhost.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I moved this to Forum Suggestions, since PunBB doesn't have a "merge" function.  Otherwise, I'd have merged it with the new Tutorial Requests thread that I just created. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs