Topic: What's your development enviornment?

What do you guys develop around?

Right now I have an iMac, but I'm considering buying a Macbook or Mac Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display 24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be great.

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

Re: What's your development enviornment?

I'm on a 21" Intel iMac. I don't move around much so I don't have need for the portability a laptop would provide. However, if I did here's what I would do.

Get a MacBook 13". I mostly just work with TextMate and Safari, no need for the high end machine and I think the extra portability is a bonus. Get a docking station so it's easy to plug it in and have it quickly function as a desktop machine (I prefer to type on a full size keyboard whenever possible). A 24" in monitor sounds plenty big enough for me.

Either that or keep my iMac and have the MacBook function as a secondary machine, only syncing it up and using it when I'm on the go (which isn't that often for me).

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Yeah honestly that sounds better. I don't like spending too much money. I really want the black macbook though so that's at least 1300 eh? I"m wondering if I should go through ebay...

Yea I'm debating whether or not to sell the iMac, I think I probably will and buy a secondary hard drive or something, to store everything.

I just bought my first mac - a 15" macbook pro, low end model.
I am very happy, dual monitors @ home is a great thing too.
I chose the pro due to the ability to take 3 gig ram, dedicated video and larger screen.

I think the black MacBook is overpriced. I think Apple's just charging more for the "privilege" of it being black. And honestly, after seeing them in the store I think they look worse than the white ones. The only major difference the black MB has over the middle white one is a larger hard drive.

I have a white MacBook and TextMate. I love it but I am disappointed with how slow Rosetta can be. My piddly little G4 Mac Mini completely outperforms this MacBook on Photoshop and Illustrator. Oh well, just a temporary situation.

Last edited by tortoise (2007-03-19 08:51:35)

I use a white Macbook and TextMate. It's great, but if I could do it over again today I'd grab a refurbished 15" Macbook Pro from Apple's online store. You can usually find them for about the same price as a new Macbook when they're in stock, and you get the bigger screen and dedicated graphics basically for free smile. That and the metal casing won't stain like my Macbook has sad

That said, I'm happy with the Macbook since it does its job well (web design, music, browsing/email) but I'm probably going to get a desktop sometime in the next year and toss a few big hard drives in for my music collection. Oh what I wouldn't give for a headless iMac sad

vinnie - rails forum admin

Yeah, the reason why I want to switch to the mobile platform is so everything is more versatile. If I need to go see a client, then I can easily do so with a laptop. It would be handy in my opinion.

I just went to the apple store today and saw the difference between 24" vs 30" and macbook vs macbook pro, honestly it didn't help - I'm confused as ever.

*sigh*

vin wrote:

I use a white Macbook and TextMate. It's great, but if I could do it over again today I'd grab a refurbished 15" Macbook Pro from Apple's online store. You can usually find them for about the same price as a new Macbook when they're in stock, and you get the bigger screen and dedicated graphics basically for free smile. That and the metal casing won't stain like my Macbook has sad

That said, I'm happy with the Macbook since it does its job well (web design, music, browsing/email) but I'm probably going to get a desktop sometime in the next year and toss a few big hard drives in for my music collection. Oh what I wouldn't give for a headless iMac sad

Seems like if I go for a refurbed macbook pro 15" glossy, core 2 duo, 1 gig of ram, it'll be around $1600 (but really $1750 w/ tax). Meh sad

So basically mac book for $1300 or a mbp for $1600 (add $100ish for tax and maybe $50 for a case).

Does it make more sense to not be so stingy and just take the plunge for a $300ish more?

Last edited by DFischer (2007-03-20 05:36:31)

DFischer wrote:

So basically mac book for $1300 or a mbp for $1600 (add $100ish for tax and maybe $50 for a case).

Does it make more sense to not be so stingy and just take the plunge for a $300ish more?

For a faster processor, bigger screen, and dedicated graphics? Hell yeah it makes sense!

But on the other hand, a MacBook is more than enough power for rails development. And I prefer the smaller footprint, the Pros are just a touch too big IMO.

I was disappointed at the lack of dedicated graphics at first, but I have no need for it. It's a Mac so I won't be playing too many games on it smile and I do nothing 3D at all. So no graphics card doesn't bug me that much.

I must be the only one who has a compaq from the late 90's running unbuntu shoved in some corner of my closet..

I've got Gentoo Linux on a 2004 Dell Inspiron 600m with a broken screen plugged into a Dell 2407 24" monitor.  Seeing this crappy little machine push the pixels around is like watching a child pull a dump truck up a hill.

I've been eyeing the MacBook Pros lately and they're looking better and better.  I'd like to be able to get away with something cheaper, or wait until the next upgrade that's due out on the MBPs, but anything would be better than what I've got.

Silver Powerbook running 10.4.6
I also rock my Apple 21" alongside for double screen action wink

- Illustrator / Photoshop for comps
- Textmate
- Safari for development
- FF, Opera, IE (6 & 7) for debugging
- CocoaMySQL
- iTerm

Alright so I pretty much made up my mind to get a macbook pro. Honestly I should not be worried about money - I'm getting this for work, and obviously work will pay for it over time.

I think the luxury of space and professionalism will win in the long run.

Now just to be able to find it on the refurbished stock smile

=p

I recently built an Opteron 2218 dual-core (2.6gHz) system with 2Gb of ram on a dual-processor server board (second processor empty for now) with 2x 400Gb drives in RAID 0 + 80Gb boot disk running Ubuntu 6.10 in 64-bit mode.
It will be capable of running 2x Quad-core Opterons when they come out this summer, plus is upgradeable to 32gb of ram.  Total cost: $1400.  Bottom-line: hella fast!

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

I am developing on a Thinkpad T60 under Windows XP, using 'e' as the editor and cygwin as the shell.

Works good, but it's not a Mac. I would like to have OS X on my Thinkpad.

DFischer wrote:

Now just to be able to find it on the refurbished stock smile

Just keep an eye on Apple's refurb page. They come up fairly frequently (every couple of days or so) but they get snatched up fast so be prepared to act on it!

danger wrote:

I've been eyeing the MacBook Pros lately and they're looking better and better.  I'd like to be able to get away with something cheaper, or wait until the next upgrade that's due out on the MBPs, but anything would be better than what I've got.

Stick with the pro line if you want to connect your 24" monitor to it. I've heard the dedicated graphics in the Macbook can push 1920x1200 but things like Expose on a screen that large make it crawl.

I've got a Sony VAIO laptop with a 1.6 GHz Intel Core Duo thinger, 1GB RAM, and a 15.4" glossy screen running Windows XP Media Center.  But I'm not a coder, I'm a writer... so my work environment is general Microsoft Word. wink  I did only pay $941 for it, though, and so far have been quite pleased.

I also have a Dell Inspiron B120 that had a 1.4 GHz Celeron M, 512MB RAM, a 15.4" screen and Win XP Home... it really kind of sucks and was made very poorly. But it only cost $400 and is a nice backup.

And I have a desktop, too, but it's pretty old (AMD Athlon 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 21" CRT, Windows XP Home--top of the line in fall 2002) ... I use it mainly for storage and Photoshop now... plus it has a bitchin' sound system. wink

I've really added nothing to this thread, but I wanted to join in the fun of typing out my system specs. big_smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

I am on Ubuntu 6.06.  AMD Athlon 2.4 with 512 MB Ram and 40 GB HDD. ASUS Mother Board.

17" G4 Powerbook.

Textmate (of course), Terminal (tried iTerm, didn't feel 'right'), Firefox (been using safari a lot lately).

I used MacPorts to install ruby and all of the other stuff needed to use my machine as a development machine.

My main machine is a Sager 9750 laptop (AMD X2 4800, GeForce 7800, 2gb ddr, 1920x1200 screen).  It's a high end machine for graphics and development work.  I'm running Ubuntu Feisty 64bit at the moment.  I do my rails work mostly in Gedit, but I have a few plugins so that it's more of a development app then just a text editor.  I also use bluefish for my css work.  I have radrails setup, but I haven't given it much use yet.

Switching over to linux from windows has made my life so much easier.  The only thing I really wish I had is textmate.

Last edited by BIGtrouble77 (2007-03-27 20:48:14)