Topic: Why is this forum in php?

Hi,
Am newbe to ROR... have just started workin on in it....

Well why is forum in php why not ROR?

Comments are appriciated...

Last edited by maqs (2006-07-03 04:43:26)

Re: Why is this forum in php?

Find good RoR-based forum software that's more than a twinkle in somebody's subversion repository and we'll use it smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

I have been looking for a forum software to use within my RoR based site, HifiMaven.com. I have not been able to find something that is very polished to the level of the various PHP based or Jive(java based) forum packages. I have looked at Opinion, Beast, and RForum. I am thinking of setting up a bounty/fund to create a nice forum package what do people think of this idea?

Some of the members here are already working on a project to create something on par with PunBB.

Right now, though, nothing really exists that is nicer than Beast (which is quite nice), in my opinion.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

you could always make your own big_smile

--

This is funny.  Seems even more silly to have advertising for Rails books and not be a Rails site though.  Initially I hesitated to join this forum seeing as it was not written in RoR.  But realized that yes there are far more prebuilt systems from others.

Subtantially, its better to have this forum than not.  It is good it exists and continues to grow.

Of course, this could be built on RoR smile

We hope to switch to a Rails based forum system soon.  As noted in my post above, some of our members are working on something that will better meet our needs (which Beast, rForum, and Opinion did not).

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Josh, can you tell us the forum "needs" here? and maybe we can comment on your list.

You know the world of software development has completely flipped on its head when people are _demanding_ free, open-source solutions to everything, in their language of choice.  smile

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

Who's demanding free, open source solutions for anything?  If there were a a RoR-based forum that matched vBulletin feature-for-feature, I'd expect to pay for it ... and would if it were well written and supported.  (I own other forums running vBulletin, by the way.)  I don't think I have the money to fund development of a full forum system right now, but I'm definitely not opposed to paying for software. smile

linoj: One of my main concerns is strong moderation controls.  More or less we want something that will at least match what we have already with PunBB.  We're working on something, as I've said, but it can be slow going at time as everyone who is working on it has full time jobs doing other stuff.

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

I was just trying to write a somewhat funny-sarcastic-ironic comment in reply to uaflyer's post...

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

Well, he is right: it could be built in Rails... and if he wants to build it, I'm all for it. wink

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

I think beast is very nice

uaflyer wrote:

This is funny.  Seems even more silly to have advertising for Rails books and not be a Rails site though.  Initially I hesitated to join this forum seeing as it was not written in RoR.  But realized that yes there are far more prebuilt systems from others.

Subtantially, its better to have this forum than not.  It is good it exists and continues to grow.

Of course, this could be built on RoR smile

I think that this is a good example of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". There is a metric wad (~1.268 standard bunches) of good forum software and very few reasons for a complete recreation of that in a new language.

@diego: Beast is very nice, but not really up to snuff in certain areas we wanted for this forum.

@jbartels: Bingo.  For years 37Signals even used MoveableType for their blog (they only switched to their in-house RoR-powered system earlier this year, I believe).  PunBB suits us well right now, and there's no need to change to an inferior system (like Beast -- very nice, but let's face it, not quite up to PunBB) just because it's made in Ruby on Rails. 

We are slowly working on our own in house system though, via a project under the direction of some of our members (namely RyanB, danger, and thabenksta). smile

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

I just posted a separate topic. A Rails forum based on punBB has been announced (and is more or less complete, I believe):

http://code.google.com/p/eldorado/source

http://newathens.org/forum

Please see here for a response specific about El Dorado: http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=34206#p34206

Last edited by trevorturk (2007-08-05 21:02:16)

Ummm.... Blogs / forums are one of the most key selling points for Rails. You'll notice the first thing they teach in you in all the guides is how to make a blog - in under 5 minutes. Login and RBAC is a breeze too. I realize this post was created, eh, 4 years ago, so maybe things were different with Rails then. But rest assured, Rails 3 will be a breeze to recreate this.

But just the fact that a site devoted to Rails was made in PHP is just sickening... makes you question the creditability, you know?

We can't compare php and RoR. RoR is a framework based on ruby. Php is
just a programming language like ruby. So you can compare php with
ruby or RoR with a php framework (Symfony, phpCake ....).

Vietnam travel
Mekong river cruise

Last edited by weakqueen99 (2011-05-02 08:41:54)

MusikAnimal wrote:

Ummm.... Blogs / forums are one of the most key selling points for Rails. You'll notice the first thing they teach in you in all the guides is how to make a blog - in under 5 minutes. Login and RBAC is a breeze too. I realize this post was created, eh, 4 years ago, so maybe things were different with Rails then. But rest assured, Rails 3 will be a breeze to recreate this.

But just the fact that a site devoted to Rails was made in PHP is just sickening... makes you question the creditability, you know?

Sickening? I don't love PHP, but that could be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I guess we will be seeing your forum written in Rails and a bullet proof data migration tool for PHP forums ....