Topic: Many models have images... Database advice

In a nutshell: I have 4+ models with images.  I'm using attachment_fu and each image has slightly different properties (just sizes and thumbnails).  What's the best practice for creating tables and models when many models have an image(s)?

Longer:  I moved from keeping images (and music files) in a database to storing them on the file system.  When I started using attachment_fu, I was surprised to find that I was getting double of some models (i.e. 2x all my music collections).  I found out that attachment_fu was placing new rows in my tables for thumbnail images and I decided maybe it was time to move my image data to other tables. 

Now I have 4 models with images (a collection of music, a photo gallery, cartoons, and blog entries) .  These images are offloaded to 4 other models (cover_art, photos, and images, and gallery->photos, respectively) has_one/has_many and belongs_to relationships.  I started looking at polymorphic relationships.  I guess I could have something like:

class Image < ActiveRecord::Base
   belongs_to :imageable, :polymorphic => true
end
class Collection < ActiveRecord::Base
   has_one :images, :as => :imageable
end

The problem with this is that I'm not sure how to coax attachment_fu into creating different thumbnails (or lack thereof ) for each parent model.  Also I've read some negative things about Rail's polymorphic models with the words "bad design" floating around.  I really want a decent solution that I won't have to change later and I'm sure there must be a best-practice for this kind of situation.  Also this website is low-scale and basic in nature so I'd really appreciate simplicity. 

Here's a little breakdown showing my current database situation.  I am new at this, so this could be ugly. 

Collection ->     Cover_art (a_fu)
       ->    Songs (a_fu)   

Gallery       ->    Photos (a_fu)

Cartoon   ->    Image(a_fu)

blog_entry ->    Gallery     ->    Photos (a_fu)

All of my tables

User
    has songs, blog_entries, photos, cartoons

Collection
    has songs, cover_art
    Attributes: created_at, title...

CoverArt           
    belongs_to collection
    attachment_fu stuff.  No thumbnails yet, maybe in the future. 

Song
    belongs_to user, collection
    Attributes: attachment_fu stuff

Gallery
    has photos
    Attributes: title, created_at, last_updated_at...

Photo
    belongs_to gallery
    Attributes attachment_fu attributes.  Thumbnails in the same table. Caption

Cartoons
    belongs_to user
    has image
    Attributes: created_at, title, caption...

Images (for cartoons)
    belongs to cartoon
    attachment_fu attributes. Thumbnails in the same table

#This is probably bad.  I was going to give each blog entry it's own gallery if it needed it and then hide the gallery on the photo gallery part of the webpage. 
Blog_entry
    belongs to user
    has_one gallery

#This is pretty simple, but I would like it to have the option of having images in the future. 
Announcements
        Attributes: test, title, created_at

Last edited by osteo (2007-03-26 12:17:46)

Re: Many models have images... Database advice

I went ahead and started using image as a polymorphic model.  Some tutorials on this forum really helped out.  I decided to standardize the sizes of my images and their thumbnails and then just use CSS to modify them further. 

Now I'm really struggling with a bug (I think) in attachment_fu that wont' let me use upload_attributes.  But I guess that's for a different area.