Topic: No IRb in Breakpointer

Hi everyone,

here is my problem:
when the execution comes to my breakpoint, nothing happens in my ./script/breakpointer (no irb) but the app freezes by waiting for debugging...

Here is what I have (it never changes):
$ ruby script/breakpointer -V
Connection established. Waiting for breakpoint...

The log and everything stops on my breakpoint ... and I have to kill webrick to restart my app, and try again...

Environment: Debian, ruby 1.8.2, RoR 1.1.5, MySQL, Webrick

Thanks.

Re: No IRb in Breakpointer

I'm not sure what you mean by "no irb". Is that an error message you are receiving when attempting to start breakpointer? Does "irb" work for you? How about script/console?

You may also want to try calling the breakpoint directly from a test. This way you don't have to use script/breakpointer. To do this.

1. Set up a test which calls the code with a breakpoint.
2. Run the test directly in the command line:

ruby /path/to/test.rb

That should open up an interactive prompt just like breakpointer would. If this works then at least you've isolated the problem to breakpointer.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I have no error message when starting ./script/breakpointer, just "Connection established. Waiting for breakpoint..." (until I kill webrick).
I've tried irb and script/console: both work.

I've created a file with a breakpoint inside my rails app, on loading of this file, the console has executed my breakpoint and I can debug it.

But still nothing happens in ./script/breakpointer...

Thank you for your help, it allows me to continue to debug inside the console instead of the breakpointer (how did I not think about that before? )

But I still don't understand why the breakpointer can connect but can not wake up when it should.

Is it possible that my breakpointer connects to another running rails server even if I call it from the good folder ?

Do regular DRb calls work for you?

FBG wrote:

Is it possible that my breakpointer connects to another running rails server even if I call it from the good folder ?

Yeah, I don't think it's dependent upon the folder/project you call breakpointer in. I know I can call breakpointer script in another project and it works with the current running rails server which is from a different project. Are you running more than one rails server?

Yes, regular DRb calls usually works for me, and Breakpoint.use_drb? returns true before my breakpoint call.

I'm running many rails server, so I don't know if I'm connecting to the right server, how can I set-up the uri of my breakpoint server?

I'm trying to play with Breakpoint.activate_drb, but without success...

Check out "Using multiple webrick/breakpointers" at the bottom of this page. It might help.

Thanks smile