Topic: Swift - A Webkit browser for Windows

blinking8s showed me this last night. It's the first Webkit browser for Windows that I've seen (Webkit is Safari's rendering engine). It's still in alpha and there's a lot it can't do yet, but it shows promise. It will be interesting to follow the development and see what it's like in a few versions. At the very least, it might be nice for those of you who want to test sites under the Webkit rendering engine but don't have access to a Mac.

http://getwebkit.org

Re: Swift - A Webkit browser for Windows

Thanks for the link to this, hadn't seen it before - downloaded it and whilst there are some pretty severe stability issues (but it is only alpha!) the app really flies, renders pages at a speed of about 2 to 3 times faster than Firefox, so the underlying engine has something really special about it.

If this is an indicator of how good safari is I'm even more jealous of mac owners!

Even if it's not going to be a day-to-day browser, it's always good to have another one to test our pages in... now if only IE would fall down a deep, dark hole...

Haha. I hear you on IE. How quickly Swift loaded everything was one of the first things I noticed. I'm curious to see if it will render at the same speed once it gets all of those standard browser features in there taking up resources.

Another KHTML fork that may or may not be different. I'm not sure if sad or smile is what I'm looking for, so I'll settle for neutral

vinnie - rails forum admin

Baltar wrote:

now if only IE would fall down a deep, dark hole...

I think that's a statement we can all agree with. wink

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs