Topic: RoR on Vista

I am currently doing development on Win XP using RoR, Webrick, RadRails, MySQL. However, I am considering upgrading to Vista but want to know if anyone out there has tried it and encountered any compatibility issues. Thanks in advance for your help.

JiggyMe
"Videos that Matter to You" powered by Ruby on Rails

Re: RoR on Vista

We have some desktop app developed (in C/C++) under Vista, the major problem (which created a lot of headache) is the UAC (user account control). I am not sure if ROR can be installed on Vista and ROR app can be ported to it without any significant changes (my gut feeling is it should be okay in case you have an admin account). However, I came across another thread posted in this forum, which mentioned that ROR + ISS is not a working combo, so I guess you are seeking for some development environment only.

I can't offer you any help but based on personal experience, there are far too many issues with RoR on Vista.
I even tried installing in a cygwin environment on Vista and had quite a few issues.
If your upgrade to Vista is simply to have Vista and not related to your RoR platform directly, I would advise that you consider a dual boot environment which is easily achievable when installing Vista.

Don't take the above as gospel rather just my experience/opinion

I use RoR with the e text editor and cygwin on Vista and it works like a charm. No problems yet.

I'm running swimmingly on Vista, and 64 bit to boot. 

http://garbageburrito.com/blog/entry/39 … on-windows