Topic: Application Error and no production log

Does anyone have a list of possible errors that cause an application error in production mode that doesn't write anything to the production log?  I have an error that started when I was not working on the site and now does not update the production log.  I tried redeploying and putting it in development mode but neither worked.

The two errors I know of that have caused this problem in the past are having a "puts" statement in a controller and not replacing the dispatch.cgi with "rails ." after deploying.  Anyone know of others?

Re: Application Error and no production log

Make sure the permissions for the log folder and files are set correctly so the web server can write to it.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Hi Ryan,

The permissions are all 777 and still no log.  Is there something that may have happened ont he server's end that would cause this.  I really don't think I did anything to break it.

thanks!

Do you get the error when attempting to go to every page on the site?

Try launching "script/console production" on the server, do you get any error?

I get an error that says This version of RMagick was created to run with ImageMagick 6.2.9 but ImageMagick 6.3.3 is installed on this system...

but it appears the production environment still loads and I can run queries from the command line.

Hmm, I'm wondering if this error is what is causing the problem or not. You may want to try updating rmagick to see if that resolves the error.

If this isn't the cause, then I think the problem has to do with the dispatch file. Make sure the shebang line at the top points to the proper ruby. Also make sure the permission settings are correct.

What specifically does the error message say?