Re: Tutorial Requests

Opel wrote:

I would like to see a tutorial on making a enquiry form/contact page that sends an email to your inbox. Can's see a tutorial in the current list.

That seems simple enough, I'll write that

Actually, just found one
http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=404

I think a good tutorial from more experience programmers would be how to plan a new rails site/app. Most people from what I have read on the board, including myself, have learned RoR from either the Pickaxe or Ruby on Rails book and the Bible that is Agile Web Development.

It may be helpful to have a guide or some tips on breaking down an application before you start making a plan and some things to watch out for for future proofing the app.

Hi:

I was wondering if there will be any follow up based on the ..

http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=9654#9654

I would really like to see articles on ActiveResources i.e. consuming REST client. Specifically a REST client that consumes any XML not by creating a REST Server. I have seen many such tutorial on the net where the writer first create a REST Server and then create a REST client which is good but it would be nice to see a REST client that just takes an XML feed and do something.. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Hi:

I might be wrong but I think Activeresources clients can only consume RESTful Services.. after digging around the docs.. Which is by the way is updated now I found the following in the README file "Current rails trunk" under the directory activeresources.

"Active Resource (ARes) connects business objects and REST web services.  It is a library intended to provide transparent proxying capabilities between a client and a RESTful service"

So I guess you can't just consume any XML? I would be very happy if someone could confirm my findings.

Cheers

In theory I think ARes clients could consume any XML, RESTful or otherwise. However, ARes is built to consume Rails RESTful services and it would take some wrestling to make it work with something else. I think one of the points of ARes is to come up with a standard convention for the way RESTful services are built. Currently you can build a RESTful service however you want. For example, upcoming.org has a RESTful api, but the requests are formed differently than in Rails and the response XML is different. (http://upcoming.org/services/api/, see Quick Links for a link to language specific libs to consume the service) You could easily make the requests to the correct URIs, but then you would have to interpret the XML you got back. If you are consuming another Rails service ARes would already know what to do with it.

if anyone could make a screencast tutorial that would be great.  here's a free screencast app for win/linux: http://www.debugmode.com/wink/download.php

As for specific tutorial topics i am beginning rails and have been running into trouble when it comes to relationships and user systems.

I know a good one.
Finding/Editing/Creating children models based on parent models.

for example:
You have a field that auto-completes band names, once that one gets submitted, a album-name fields appears (with autocomplete scoped to the band)...

or the same thing with Company names and then the contacts within that company (so you could then add some tasks or something for them)

Last edited by pleatherrebel (2007-02-06 15:52:13)

I have an idea for a tutorial.  I would like to see a tutorial that explained the scriptaculous library along with the Prototype library (especially observe_field, I can't ever get it to work).  In other words, I've been looking for a tutorial on all the common rails AJAX calls plus implement javascript and DOM elements to help with updating pages (usually multiple elements).

A tutorial explaining how to use the Java-POI library and ruby wrapper in Ruby/Rails would be amazing. Everyone wants it, but no seems to know how to do it. (Or maybe its just me) Just my $.02

I'd like to see a tutorial on setting up a windows production server with Apache 2.2, Mysql5, and Mongrel.

Couple requests,
I'd like to see a tutorial about sending an email to a user or group of users at a time specified by the user. Hopefully that makes sense.

a tutorial about integrating user timezones into an app using tzinfo / tztime. for example like a calendar type of tutorial that sends out email alerts  to users for events or whatever.

Thanks

Last edited by internets (2007-04-03 21:23:54)

I would like to see a tutorial on a option /dropdownlist that dynamically find the associated data with that opion. So a bands => albums or Genres => movies, that sort of thing. Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Tutorial request. I'd like to have a simple date math tutorial. I'd like to be able to determine things like the number of days between dates, date formatting, and some examples that use all the methods of the Date object.

I'd like a tutorial on how to set up a forum. Specifically, I'd like to know how to create a site that let's members create new postings and add comments to existing postings. It seems like this might already exist, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm less interested in how to manage membership and logins and so on (although obviously that's important) -- a lot of books talk about how to do that.

Thanks for any suggestions

-Adam

A tutorial showing how to create an advanced search form would be extrememly helpful - I am thinking something exactly like the search form on this site.

I would like to see a solid tutorial working with image upload WITHOUT using the database.  It really seems that we should avoid the database/binary blob method and stick with straight files and in that vein it would be nice to see something along those lines while also working with some interesting plugins for image handling.

I'd like to see some more advanced tutorials done with Hobo.  The developer has some great screencasts, however it would be nice to see some different and varied genres of applications tackled.  http://hobocentral.net

Can anyone please write (or link) a really good ActionMailer tutorial. I've looked over the API and a few other sites but it didn't have a complete view of things IMO.

It would be nice if the tutorial had some examples of different ways to call the Mailer (That may not have made since. Clarification: Different use cases. ie a view with a selection box populated  from a "Users" table that would displayed their names and you selected one/many to send an email too OR having a simple form [read: no database object] that had some info including an email address that would send an email)

Hope that wasn't too long and thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is more like what I was looking for - http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages … tionMailer
I don't know why it didn't come up when I searched the first time.

Last edited by JackVandaL (2007-06-19 16:32:37)

Anyone can give me rails tutorial how to retrieve image via ftp?

Thank you very much