Topic: looking for simple persistant web-service server solution

I've created a really basic web-service which one of my applications uses as a proof of concept. At the moment I run a screen command on my web server to get the application running and then close down my shell, but the screen commands seem to have a finite life, I'm not sure whether it's down to inactivity (the web service is rarely called) or whether my shared host (DreamHost) closes them down periodically, either way I want to try and make the service stay up more permanently. How can i get a server, like web brick, to serve my code? how can i make it persist on the server? can I use fastcgi somehow?

thanks for any comments/ideas in advance

daf

the service, in case it helps

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'soap/rpc/standaloneServer'
$stdout.sync=true
Name = 'Details'
Namespace = 'detailserve.mydomain.com'

class SuperDuper

def list_details(ipaddy)
        #puts result = 'Hi, ' + name
        ipaddy = ipaddy.gsub('.','') if ipaddy.size > 3
        out = ["Mike", ipaddy.slice(-3..-1)]
        return out
    end

end

class SuperServer < SOAP::RPC::StandaloneServer

def on_init
        sd = SuperDuper.new
        add_method(sd,'list_details','ipaddy')
    end
end

svr = SuperServer.new(Name, Namespace, '0.0.0.0', 12321)
trap('INT') { svr.shutdown }
svr.start

Re: looking for simple persistant web-service server solution

I use mongrel.  It's easy to install and work with and performs well.  You just go into your rails app dir (after installing it) and run 'mongrel_rails start -d' to start it in daemon mode, and it should run forever.

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

ok, but this isn't a rails project though, it's simply that file, on it's own, dealing with soap requests. I thought using the rails framework for a simple soap server might be overkill! ;-) I just need to know how to tie this file into Apache on DH so that it is persistent, if that makes sense.

Sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully.  Check out this snipped to create a ruby daemon: http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/2265

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

That works really well, thanks! annoyingly it seems my host seems to shut down these processes fairly quickly, though I'm not sure why. I've sent a support email to my host, otherwise I was wondering whether I could create a cron script that takes the pid number and checks to see whether it's still running; not too sure how to do this yet though.