Topic: How much RAM should I Allocate for Rails?

I'm bringing up a new dedicated server that I'll use to host a few sites.  None are really high volume, intense sites.  Right now I'm pondering whether I can stay with 512MB or RAM or if I need to go to 1GB.  The php sites as well as MySQL are doing just fine with 512.  I've been playing with rails though, and plan on hosting one or two rails apps.  They will be low volume in terms of activity and I plan on probably using mongrel behind Apache since I already have Apache running to serve the php pages and it's what I'm familiar with.  Anyway, how much of a memory hit am I going to take with using Mongrel to host the web app?  Is it going to be a major memory hog for only 1, maybe 2 sites with very low activity?

Re: How much RAM should I Allocate for Rails?

I've got 7 Rails apps running under lighty with low activity with on 512MB of ram.  It looks like some of the dispatch processes are taking up to 25MB a piece.  However, I'd say with RAM being so cheap these days, I would go for as much as possible.

Are you running MySQL on the same box?

Yes, I am running MySql on the same box.

I also remembered that I'm running tomcat on that box as well.  Everything has been very stable for about six months now.

Wow, Tomcat, rails, and MySQL.  I would have never thought about that on 512mb...

sclough wrote:

Wow, Tomcat, rails, and MySQL.  I would have never thought about that on 512mb...

My Tomcat 5.5 install is only using about 30MB right now, with 6 or 7 active webapps in light use.

vinnie - rails forum admin