Topic: Ruby Cookbook

I just got my copy of Ruby Cookbook today. I was a little hesitant to buy it due to the lack of reviews, but I am pleasantly surprised. The first thing I thought when I got it is: "Wow, this book is huge!"

It has over 800 pages full of Ruby recipes and seems to cover almost everything. It even has a section on Ruby on Rails (although I don't think that's it's strong point). Because this book is so complete, it can act as a reference manual to Ruby and is a great companion to the rdocs. It also covers a lot of external libraries (such as using the "shipping" gem to determine the cost of shipping a package through UPS or FedEx).

I haven't had much time to read it yet, but what I have read has been excellent. I've already learned several things, and I look forward to reading more. Wether you are beginner or advance, I think you'll benefit from this book.

I wasn't sure if this forum is an appropriate place to put a review for this book, especially because it's not targeted toward rails. But, most Railers are new to Ruby, and I think this book will help them immensely.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Re: Ruby Cookbook

Sounds good, I'll have to check it out, after I finish pickaxe wink

Thanks for sharing ryan.

I think this is the perfect place for a book review.  I've been eyeing this book skeptically ever since I bought the professional PHP Cookbook and found it had nothing new in it.  Now this is definitely on my list.

Thanks Ryan!

danger wrote:

I think this is the perfect place for a book review.  I've been eyeing this book skeptically ever since I bought the professional PHP Cookbook and found it had nothing new in it.

A lot of the recipes are pretty basic, especially the first few sections, so you won't get as much out of it as a beginner would. But, the book covers so much stuff that everyone's bound to find a few gems (no pun intended) that they didn't know. I found the section on Reflection and Metaprogramming interesting, and I never knew there was a "creditcard" gem to validate the format of a credit card number and determine the type of card it is (Visa, MasterCard, etc.). Pretty cool.

I would check out the table of contents and see if any of it appeals to you before buying the book.

Last edited by ryanb (2006-08-17 16:53:18)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts