Topic: logs not updating

What kind of error can make your application throw "Rails application failed to start properly" and your logs not updating at all?

Thanks in advance.

Re: logs not updating

Is it your development log you're looking at? Sometimes you can glean some from, for example, Mongrel's log. Regardless, it's probably something low-level- I had a similar problem when I had a different version of Rails than my environment.rb had expected. But really, it could be a slew of things- do anything new recently that could've caused it?

Good-Tutorials. Now with tutorials for Ruby and for Rails.

To start i would chmod your logs to 666, and check your web server's error_log.  Maybe your web server is running under a UID that can't write to the log, you can chown it later but for now it's nice to just see what is wrong.  You can also try running in dev mode with script/server or script/console, to see if it is your code or a web server config problem.

This error is generated from your .htaccess file therefore is being thrown by the web server. Check your web server error logs. If your web server doesn't have logging try using WEBrick which does (as do others).

Last edited by shadow (2007-04-14 15:34:24)

Thanks everyone for their advice.
The thing is that I'm hosting the app in a shared host (Blacknight.ie), so I don't have access to their log. It's been already 2 weeks since I started deployment there and still have gotten no results. Seeing how not even the Rails logs are working leads me to think it might be their fault. What do you guys think and what would you do in this situation? I'm in continued communication with the mods, but still they seem unable to work it out.

Another common problem I've had is the tmp/sessions folder, I make that 1777 too.  But if you would try dev mode, that wouldn't be relevant since it would run under your UID.

This has been pretty common problem.  A good first place to start is here:
http://6brand.com/application-error-rai … t-properly

I highly recommend finding a host that allows you to "SSH in".  That's a way of being able to control your Rails app directly via a console that's dialed into the server.  If your host doesn't support this then they don't really support Rails.  It might be worthwhile to invest in a Dreamhost or RailsPlayGround.com account.  Check railshostinginfo.com for more information.

Good luck!