Topic: Finding a designer to design a site visually?

Hey all,

Are there any established practices for finding a graphic designer to design a site?

In general, how does one go about finding someone?

Re: Finding a designer to design a site visually?

I'd love to know.  I recently got lucky in finding out a friend of mine from my church happens to be a rockin' layout artist.  I don't know where to find any more like her though.

Yeah I like your site's look a lot. I also like digg's look a lot. It seems a lot of rails apps have "this look" to them, very modern and sleek yet also very simple. That's what I want for my site too smile

(i have no idea if digg is written in rails, probably not, just saying I like how it looks)

Digg's written in PHP.

Some freelance sites like Get a Freelancer might be able to help you out, if you don't mind distance work.

One route you might consider is to try holding a design contest on a site like SitePoint (http://www.sitepoint.com/contests/).  It's usually best to hold a contest for an uncoded template (you get more entries).  Even if you can't do the coding, you can get one of those slice and dice services to do it (Kelli, who designed Rails Forum, just opened one).

You'll get a bunch of entries from different designers, and you might find one you like and can form a lasting relationship with for future work. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Luckily I'm a designer, so this isn't a problem. wink

Same. I design and develop my own sites. Although, we often develop from visuals from designers and produce visuals for developers.

pimpmaster wrote:

Luckily I'm a designer, so this isn't a problem. wink

The sad thing is, so am I. I have a degree in design and worked as a graphic designer for 5 years. But I'm terrible at it. There's a reason it's no longer my career smile But if worse came to worse I could sit down and force myself to bang out something halfway decent, it'd just take forever.

I'm with you tortoise.  That's how I got into this whole thing in the beginning but it's clear to me that my programming skills grow exponentially and my design skills only linearly (if that).

Wow, I'm total opposite of you guys.. went to design school, dropped out and went renegade freelance. Design & illustration are what I really love doing and I've been successful at both for the last 10 years. So why become a programmer too? Cause chicks think its sexy..

Pimpmaster: Hey baby, did you know I can write a one-line conditional statement that will do boolean checks for nil values and then call the database queries that drive an e-commerce engine?

Hot Chick:Take me now, you wild stallion!

Works every time wink

pimpmaster wrote:

Wow, I'm total opposite of you guys.. went to design school, dropped out and went renegade freelance. Design & illustration are what I really love doing and I've been successful at both for the last 10 years. So why become a programmer too? Cause chicks think its sexy..

ROFL - me too. I started out in design and after about 5 years of working with developers to deploy sites with the correct look and feel I decided if I knew how to program too it would all go a lot easier.

Plus chicks think its sexy smile