Topic: What is all needed to install RMagick (or whatever else you recommend)

I'm having a dilly of a time trying to figure out how to properly install whatever is needed to get images to work on my app. This is essentially the last step I have with the creation of my app for school, so I'd greatly appreciate some tips.

First, is RMagick what everyone recommends? I'm looking for nothing more than the ability to upload an image to a mysql database, resize it, and then display when called. If someone has something else that's better for this, I'd love to hear it and how to install it.

Secondly, with RMagic, it seems like the installation is all messed up - why does it take so much to install a simple gem? I'm confused about everything from the installation page: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html

- X11
- All the image bundles like JPEG, PNG, etc... do I already have that? Do I download and install? How to you install? WTF!? haha
- What's up with all these ports?

Is there any sort of command prompt that will just install everything I need to get image usage up and running quickly for me?

Thanks for all the help in advance. I appreciate it!

Re: What is all needed to install RMagick (or whatever else you recommend)

sudo port install ImageMagick  ??

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

That didn't work. It told me port wasn't a command. And I don't know what that would do in the first place.

Please, any feedback is huge for me as this is the last step I have in my school project due in a couple weeks.

Thanks.

Google darwin ports.

Ok, I downloaded and installed the package from Darwin's homepage. I still get "sudo: port: command not found"

This is really completely outside the scope of rails.  You're getting into OS X system administration now.  A good developer needs to be able to dig into things and try to figure them out.  Ports is a great system, and I suggest that you go figure out how to use it.  The man pages tell all.

Anybody have any experience with the locomotivev rmagick bundle?

http://locomotive.raaum.org/bundles/index.html

R-Magick is a beast to install.. I had all sorts of problems till I found this great tutorial:

http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/rmagick_os_x

THey also have a nice article for installing Rails

http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles … -mysql-osx

Enjoy!

Wow - this will work great! I used his installation guide already. SWEET!

Hmmm... I tried installing and everything worked fine until the last step. I got this error:

checking for Magick-config... no
checking for GraphicsMagick-config... no
configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find Magick-config or GraphicsMagick-config program.
RMagick configuration failed with status 1.

I tried to Google with no luck. Any ideas?

Thats weird - it worked for me without a hitch. You could try going to the rMagick site and browsing the source for those two files which you appear to be missing.

That usually means you don't have the ImageMagick-devel components.  On linux it's a simple RPM install, really not sure what you need on OS-X though.  It honestly might be easier to compile it from source.  I ended up doing that myself.