Topic: Ruby Exercises?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I could find some places or books that have Ruby exercises I could follow so I could get a better understanding of the language.  While lots of these books I have are great, they don't have any exercises or anything to follow.  I learn by doing, not just by reading.

By the way, I know about Ruby Quiz, but as I've been looking through the site, I've noticed how I really don't know enough to do any of them.  So, preferably a little bit easier than that.

Thanks in advance. big_smile

Re: Ruby Exercises?

Im currently reading 'Agile Web development with rails' and i love it. You learn howto install rails and setup everything. While reading the book you are building a webshop in rails, called depot. Your building that app while reading.

There's also this rails recipes book which has a lot of rails examples.

Yeah, I have AWDwR, and I've read the thing cover-to-cover and picked up lots.  I've also skimmed Rails Recipes, and I own Ruby Cookbook.

The problem I find with it is, it's teaching Rails.  I want to learn how to use Ruby first.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a good resource for that.  Everything is either extremely basic (I know how to add 2 numbers by now...) or way too complicated for the stage I'm at (see RubyQuiz).

Isn't there anything in between?

I've often heard good things about Ruby for Rails.  I'm not sure if it has exercises, though, since I have no read it (my dirty little secret is that I am not actually a programmer).

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Hmm...there are many good books:
Programming Ruby
Ruby for Rails
Ruby cookbook
Best of Ruby Quiz

Josh wrote:

I've often heard good things about Ruby for Rails.  I'm not sure if it has exercises, though, since I have no read it (my dirty little secret is that I am not actually a programmer).

Yeah, I've read Ruby for Rails cover to cover too, and picked up a lot, for sure.  Unfortunately, no exercises, like pretty much every Ruby book. sad

I'm not necessarily just looking for books (I've skimmed them all at the bookstore and couldn't find any exercises), but maybe online resources too.  It just strikes me as odd that Ruby is oft touted as a "beginner's language," but there's not a whole lot of resources for anyone just past the beginner stage.

Maybe I should pick up a Python book and try exercises out of that.

I know exactly what you mean.  I learn by doing, too.  I read the same books you have still didn't feel like I had a grasp on programming in Ruby.  I search for a long time for something that would teach and require me to figure out an exercise using what I just learned.  That's the best way I retain knowledge and also makes sure I really do understand how things are working.  Following along as they tell you how they solved a problem just doesn't push me the way I like to learn.

Ok so on to my point...  Check this out: http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram

I have not bought the 'revised' and 'expanded' book, but I'm on the last chapter of the website (after like 5 days) and I feel like I have learned and retained much more than I did after reading the pickaxe.  He also uses complete code chunks so it made it easier to see the whole picture (I also forced myself to type in by hand every chunk of code and run it myself, helped to memorize syntax that way).

I'm now hoping to find something similar on Rails... something that teaches and then has increasingly difficult exercises for you to figure out on your own along the way.