Topic: creating forums.

im not sure whether i am doing the right way but....

Category > Forums > Topics > Posts

This sort of relationship. As well as having the admin and the main view together, instead of separating them with app/admin. so upon login, if admin?, it will show the necessary admin tools.

then in the admin's menu, im thinking, a view just like a normal forum top down menu, except with edit/delete/new/ functions beside each category, forums, topics and such.....

intstead of having to login and go to a completely different administration page. I think having the admin functions on same page is more intuitive, and easier to maintain.

what do you think is the best method for a forum ?

Re: creating forums.

Of course you'll want some admin controls on the main page (for editing/deleting and such), but I think you'll be wanting a full-out administration area too.

I recommend making as much of the administration section inline as possible. I don't think you will need an "admin" subdirectory at all. Even if there are controllers that you only want admins to access, just place them at the root like every other controller and restrict access with a before_filter.

There are a few Railscasts episodes which talk about this.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

As Ryan says, inline administration is becoming more and more comment and is generally easier/quicker to code.

Espically, if you use AJAX. Imagine you have a list of forums, you could provide an admin link which opens a new form (inline) which adds the new forum and add its directly to your forum list. Using scriptaculous this can look good and be much less code.

An CMS application I've been working on actually has an administration drop down menu along the top of the site, so, for example if you wanted to edit a page you just visit it and the edit/delete/move options appear in the Page menu - the editor then appears as a popup or replaces the content with the editor. Works very well as a concept.

Last edited by shadow (2007-04-21 17:12:20)

Espically, if you use AJAX. Imagine you have a list of forums, you could provide an admin link which opens a new form (inline) which adds the new forum and add its directly to your forum list. Using scriptaculous this can look good and be much less code.

An CMS application I've been working on actually has an administration drop down menu along the top of the site, so, for example if you wanted to edit a page you just visit it and the edit/delete/move options appear in the Page menu - the editor then appears as a popup or replaces the content with the editor. Works very well as a concept.

are you running trojan on my computer? LOL you've read my mind! Exactly what I am aiming for.

this is really stupid. i could've of used acts_as_tree save me lot of pain.