Topic: Rails Webgame

I've started a small webgame project in Rails and I was wondering what you guys' opinions are concerning webgames and Rails.  It definitaly seems up to the task.  I haven't ran into any snags yet, but it's still in early development.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Re: Rails Webgame

Is your avatar really needed?

As a certified pimpmaster, I'm no prude myself,

but I have to agree, that avatar is in bad taste.

i think its hilarious.

I think that shows a certain level of maturity really.

So you're saying I should make a Rails-based stickman c0ck-swinging game?  Good advice...and on topic, too!

C'mon now.  Anyone else want to have a serious discussion?

What kind of web-game?  You're question is underspecified.

dustin wrote:

What kind of web-game?  You're question is underspecified.

Well the one I've started is a space-strategy sim.  Manage your empire, planets, fleets, etc.  The standard stuff.  I've also wanted to make a web-based, multiplayer X-COM clone.  Even started a project on RubyForge, but I haven't put much development into it, yet.

You'll need a solid story behind it, throw in some artwork too.

I'm currently working on a massive multiplayer webgame... mostly to get familiar with ruby and rails.

I can personally highly recommend such a project for learning... you get a lot of logic that requires ruby skills and you get very complex DB schemas that want to be displayed in unusual fashion, so you really have to dig into rails a bit.

Only thing i'm concerned about is speed (if i ever finish the thing) but on the other hand it makes me program the DB access as clean and fast as possible, so i learn something again.

Chris G wrote:

I can personally highly recommend such a project for learning... you get a lot of logic that requires ruby skills and you get very complex DB schemas that want to be displayed in unusual fashion, so you really have to dig into rails a bit.

I'd have to agree.  The challenge is certaintly fun.

Chris G wrote:

I'm currently working on a massive multiplayer webgame... mostly to get familiar with ruby and rails.

Got a RubyForge project for it?  I've been looking to collaborate with someone on a Rails app, but my friends are too lazy to learn it.  Heh.

@oshuma
No, it only lives on my HD currently and the code is by far too ugly to share it with anyone smile

Hah, you should see some of the stuff I have in my SVN repos.  Drop me an email if you want and we'll setup a private repository for ugly code.  Heh.

Vim is hungry, I tell you!  wink