Topic: Server of Choice

I am using Apache and pretty happy with it,except it is a bit of a memory hog. I have contemplated Lighty and nginx but havent had the courage to take the plunge yet. What are you guys using on your projects?

Re: Server of Choice

aparche + mysql + winamp + firefox  = its near imposssible to get anythign done....

i know this is taboo....but i use my web server hosted @ XXX.com and use a windows ssh and notepad++, developing directly(small apps of course)

until i can get a better system or more ram, i have no choice!

i just learned my lesson. all my fields were wiped in all databases.

i managed to get it recovered, but it was quite a scare.

Ouch..that's not cool at all!

I have decided to give nginx a try. It seems to be getting rave reviews from the Rails community and Zed Shaw (creator of Mongrel) is using it, which is a good endorsement.

Apache works fine for me.  We also use apache for lots of non-rails stuff, so we can't really switch.

For development I run mongrel inside of eclipse, and connect to a separate database sever and subversion server.  Works quite well for me.

Yeah..the one major caveat of using anything but Apache is the fact that none of the other lightweight solutions support Subversion yet. Even though I will try nginx, I will still need an instance of apache running to get some SVN love.

Hopefully this will change in the near future.

SVN love is nice smile

Even more so when you're working with other developers!

-Drew

Although it's one more server to run, you can use the lightweight svnserve server.  Not too difficult to setup and seems to work fine.

I like svnserve. I've been using it on my local without any problems. Sure, it's not as fancy as using apache, but it's a great way to go if you just need something simple.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Does it support LDAP Authentication?

i will give svnserve a try..thanks for the tip!

@ryan, do you have a preference for overall server, or are you one of those all-terrain fellas?

Does it support LDAP Authentication?

It doesn't look like it.  This site has a lot more information on the topic and will pretty much guide you through setting up svnserve.  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06.html

pimpmaster wrote:

@ryan, do you have a preference for overall server, or are you one of those all-terrain fellas?

Are you talking about a web server? On my slice I'm just using Apache with a Mongrel cluster. I'm planning to jump to nginx when I need more memory, but right now I've got enough.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried LiteSpeed?

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

My development server:

Slackware 11.0
Apache 2.2.3 + Mongrel 1.0.1
Ruby 1.8.4 + Rails 1.2.3
MySQL 5.0.24a
Subversion 1.4.2

Working pretty nice, so far.  My production server is running Fedora and Apache 2.0, so that will be...exciting.  Going to have to upgrade Apache so I can use mod_proxy.

Nice specs oshuma.. makes me wish I had called this thread "Environment of Choice" so we could get a peek at what everyone is running under the hood.

@ ryanb,

I have not tried Litespeed, but I have heard that nginx is just as fast, if not faster. Of course you dont get the great docs and customer support of Litespeed, but their asking price is a bit steep for me right now.