Topic: Ruby vs Python for automation/admin type stuff

I know you're biased, but I'll ask here anyway. smile
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each in this regard.

Re: Ruby vs Python for automation/admin type stuff

Can you explain "automation/admin type stuff" a little more? Are you primarily referring to managing files?

I have used Ruby on several occasions for little scripts and it has worked great. It's not the fastest language, but it is good enough for my needs. I'm always amazed at the scalability of it: from the tiniest scripts to the largest programs, it works very well in terms of organizing the code. OOP is there if you want it, but it's not forced - you can just use functions in a flat file if you want, or just make it one flat script without any functions/methods.

Python's probably very similar, but I'm not experienced enough with it to say.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:

Can you explain "automation/admin type stuff" a little more? Are you primarily referring to managing files?

Well, as a replacement for shell/batch scripting and for doing little automation scripts like system backups.

My Python experience is probably to0 limited to make the call, but from what I have played with, both languages are very capable.

If Ruby dropped off the face of the planet tomorrow, I would probably be using Python myself.
(Although Smalltalk & Erlang are both looking pretty interesting these days)

The real answer to your question is another question.. which language do you feel more at home with?

Last edited by pimpmaster (2007-05-01 15:47:36)

pimpmaster wrote:

The real answer to your question is another question.. which language do you feel more at home with?

Haven't done anything real with either language yet.  But I've read more about Python.

Do yourself a favor and buiild a super basic app or program with both. It's the only way you can figure out which onefits your head better.

I spent months debating between the two..doing all sorts of homework. It wasnt until I tried to make a simple site in each that the choice became clear. It's one thing to read about a language and another entirely to put it to use.

Good idea. Thanks.