Topic: Deployment Woes

Despite my blog-reading, forum-diving, and tfm-reading, deployment with Capistrano keeps giving me trouble.

I'm running Fedora Core 4, and the "svn: Mismatched RA version for 'x'" messages are basically part of the routine, despite uninstalling and reinstalling subversion (and associated) packages countless times. svn does work, provided I don't ask it for --help or a handful of other options.

Also, the www.rubyimagegallery.com server is where subversion resides (same machine). However, /svn/repos/ is protected via .htaccess, so I'm wondering if that's throwing a wrench in the gears.

Anybody have some insight? I'm getting a little down from several days of ineffective installs, recompiles, and .conf hacking.

Thanks in advance!

[root@u15246179 ruby]# cap cold_deploy
  * executing task cold_deploy
  * executing task update
** transaction: start
  * executing task update_code
  * querying latest revision...
svn: Mismatched RA version for 'http': found 1.4.3, expected 1.2.3
*** [update_code] transaction: rollback
  * [update_code] rolling back
  * executing "rm -rf /var/www/vhosts/laurenandjulie.com/releases/20070501175301"
    servers: ["www.rubyimagegallery.com"]
Password:
    [www.rubyimagegallery.com] executing command
    command finished
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/scm/subversion.rb:24:in `latest_revision': Could not determine latest revision (RuntimeError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:62:in `initialize'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:89:in `call'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:89:in `[]'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:236:in `method_missing'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/scm/subversion.rb:63:in `checkout'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/recipes/standard.rb:80:in `load'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/actor.rb:159:in `instance_eval'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/actor.rb:159:in `update_code'
         ... 13 levels...
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/cli.rb:12:in `execute!'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/bin/cap:11
        from /usr/local/bin/cap:16:in `load'
        from /usr/local/bin/cap:16

Re: Deployment Woes

It seems like there must be some portion of the old svn that's still installed somewhere.  This must be really frustrating for you.

If you have slocate installed I recommend running updatedb to update it's knowledge of your filesystem and then running:

locate svn | grep -v "\.svn"

that'll find all the places on your system that have 'svn' in the filename (but not any .svn folders).  That might help.

Thanks for the response, danger smile

I've managed to root out all the old subversion pieces.
Now it's just this:

[root@u15246179 ruby]# cap deploy
  * executing task deploy
  * executing task update
svn: Unrecognized URL scheme for 'http://www.laurenandjulie.com/svn/repos … ulie/trunk'
  * executing "rm -rf /var/www/vhosts/laurenandjulie.com/releases/20070502175807"
Password:
    command finished
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/scm/subversion.rb:24:in `latest_revision': Could not determine latest revision (RuntimeError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:62:in `initialize'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:89:in `call'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:89:in `[]'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/configuration.rb:236:in `method_missing'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/scm/subversion.rb:63:in `checkout'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/recipes/standard.rb:80:in `load'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/actor.rb:159:in `instance_eval'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/actor.rb:159:in `update_code'
         ... 13 levels...
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-1.4.1/lib/capistrano/cli.rb:12:in `execute!'

I've coded the path to the repository (and svn) into deploy.rb, and double-checked by accessing same path to repository via http.
The repository path is protected by .htaccess, but it seems strange that that would impact cap deployment, given that it's such a common way to guard repos.

After recompiling subversion and making sure neon was available, I've whittled it down to this:

[root@u15246179 ruby]# cap deploy
  * executing task deploy
  * executing task update
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos/lauren_and_julie/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos/lauren_and_julie/trunk': Could not read status line: connection was closed by server. (http://www.rubyimagegallery.com)
  * executing "rm -rf /var/www/vhosts/laurenandjulie.com/releases/20070503000233"
Password:
    command finished
         ... 13 levels...

And that may very well be the .htaccess protecting the repository directory.... I no longer rule -anything- out.