Topic: Apache, Webrick and Mongrel

Hello,

When using linux i just run MySQL as daemon, then, i run manually Webrick to test my web applications. But when i'm in Windows, i'm using the InstantRails package and i also run manually Webrick.. and i'm wondering why InstantRails is running apache (is that only to make possible the  use of phpMyadmin ?!) ?

I have a second question, when i want to configure my own server.. what i need to make a rails production environment?

thank you..

Re: Apache, Webrick and Mongrel

The Rails environment may be set using the RAILS_ENV variable. To set the environment to production uncomment the following line in config/environment.rb file.

ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production'

thank you dvohra, but When asking about production environment, i was speaking about the software environment needed to run a rails application in the production mode... should i have apache ? what to install more to have a rails server ?

Use Apache2 with FastCGI.

Thank you!

To be sincere.. i didn't believe that just apache with separate ruby/rails installation and without any configuration will let my application running immediately.. but when creating a sample app.. this was a reality! maybe this is due to my poor servers knowledge.. but anyway! thanks again smile

Use the Apache 2.0.x version. Apache 2.2.x version does not include the FastCGI module.
RubyForApache is also required to be installed.