Topic: Tutorial Requests

Please post all requests for future tutorials in this thread, rather than creating new threads. smile  Writers can reply here to indicate if they intend to create a tutorial to fill a specific request.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Re: Tutorial Requests

I'm planning to work on a beginners guide to automated testing with Test::Rails, autotest, and rcov.  Hopefully this weekend when I get back from Rails Studio.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

What I'd really like is a guide to using ZenTest, but from a beginners perspective. By this I mean for someone who is new to unit testing

daibatzu wrote:

What I'd really like is a guide to using ZenTest, but from a beginners perspective. By this I mean for someone who is new to unit testing

That is exactly what I was referring to as what I hope to write this weekend.  (autotest and Test::Rails are the two main testing tools inside ZenTest.)   Have you tried using them and run across problems that I should make sure to cover?

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

With ZenTest I'd have to say pretty much everything. I understand the testing chapter of Agile Web Development but dunno.. the documentation for zentest is odd especially for those of us who are new to tdd. Maybe you could show steps to building a simple app? I'm writing a tutorial for search in rails which should be ready by the weekend, I'm going to build a small application as my example.

I'm planning on writing a tutorial on using the Rails api documentation. I know a few people here are having trouble understanding it. If you could point out some specific areas you have trouble with I can include it in the tutorial.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:

I'm planning on writing a tutorial on using the Rails api documentation. I know a few people here are having trouble understanding it. If you could point out some specific areas you have trouble with I can include it in the tutorial.

Cool dude.  Might be a good idea to include references to the Ruby Core and StdLib docs.

Just started to right a series of sidecar articles. Uhmm those are total newbie ones where the writer is exactly one step ahead of the person reading. The concept is meant to take someone from starting to approx medium level ability.

Have any number of things l have zero idea on how to do smile Getting there by googling and reading some of the great articles posted on the web. Seems a lack of real world tutorials at the moment, the sort that take a concept and develop an app from it.

For anyone else with a web site, simply post rails stuff up on it, surprising the amount of people getting interested smile Mainstream here we come imho, hopefully l'll be ahead of the game wink

www.movieheretic.com - Reviews, Box Office, Chat from downunder. Now with added RoR goodness, beginner stuff.

www.skinbydragonfly.com - Invision skins, graphics, i-Tab revolution.

daibatzu wrote:

Amen, I too would be very interested in a ZenTest tutorial plus some sort of guide to MasterView.
Thank you.

Peace,
poor_old_dad

Last edited by poor_old_dad (2006-08-26 22:00:07)

I'm really looking for different uses of rails ajax methods.  We've all seen the standard updating list.  I am looking for advanced uses of the neat things that rjs templates can do.  I've seen a lot of ajax tutorials, but it seems they all cover the same thing.  They also never really go into detail on the extra options, and configurations you can set.

Thank you!

Is there anything specific that you would like covered  that isn't already covered in the RJS book?

I'm looking for a quality and thorough tutorial on authorization pages; either creating one from scratch or using acts_as_authenticated.  It seems tutorials skip steps for us noobs and I'm looking for the full story. From creating the first controllers needed to adding roles for users and having an admin section to manage that.

matthewvb

I am really a noob at this, but have started reading on some tutorials, and theres one thing i would like to know, that is can I print a hard copy using the rails framework, if so what files does it supports?
And I would really appreciate it if you could create some sample works for this

Thank you and hope for your reply.

Well, the client can choose to print any webpage through his own computer. If you want to create a document that is designed to be printed, you probably want to generate a PDF. Unfortunately this can be fairly complicated, but check out the Rails wiki page on the subject if you're interested:

How to Generate PDFs

Looking for tutorials :Rails version of Yuotube.

yayes wrote:

In what respect? Do you want to know how to convert videos from any format into Flash? Or the community/social aspect of the site? There's a lot to Youtube and one tutorial would barely scratch the surface unless you went into detail on the functionality you want.

vinnie - rails forum admin

vin wrote:
yayes wrote:

In what respect? Do you want to know how to convert videos from any format into Flash? Or the community/social aspect of the site? There's a lot to Youtube and one tutorial would barely scratch the surface unless you went into detail on the functionality you want.

I want to know how to convert videos into Flash and how to make it play.

Thanks for your answer!

There's a desperate need for a definitive tutorial on installing FlexImage and all of its dependencies... and their dependencies... and their dependencies... Well perhaps not a universal need, but atleast a few people will find it helpful. I'm currently writing a series of tutorials that I plan to post here on creating an Image Blog, and a tutorial on install FlexImage would be a nice suplement to reference

Last edited by octoberdan (2007-01-10 05:11:13)

I would like to see a tutorial on making a enquiry form/contact page that sends an email to your inbox. Can's see a tutorial in the current list.

yayes wrote:
vin wrote:
yayes wrote:

I want to know how to convert videos into Flash and how to make it play.

Thanks for your answer!

Converting videos to Flash: You'll have to use some software libraries called ffmpeg and flvtool2 to convert the videos to Flash once they've been uploaded. Odds are you'll need a dedicated server to install all that. Here's a little tutorial on getting ffmpeg and flvtool2 running.

And here's a thread on this forum with someone trying to do the same thing, maybe you two can help each other out smile

vinnie - rails forum admin