Topic: Edge Rails

Maybe this should be a tutorial?

I've downloaded an application that uses edgerails and have no idea how to use it. How do I download edgerails and then freeze it to this application?
Also, how do I make sure edgerails doesn't interfere with the stable version of Rails I have installed on my computer. Thanks.

Re: Edge Rails

Use rake rails:freeze:edge

This will download rails edge as plugins, so that it wont interfere with anything else.

Your application will look for rails first in your ./vendor/rails directory but if it doesn't find it there it'll default to the gems (usually /usr/lib/ruby/gems).  This means you can harmlessly test any versions of rails you like and wipe them clean when you're sick of 'em.

Last edited by danger (2006-08-25 20:17:06)

run 'rake --tasks' in your rails app's folder to see the list of stuff rake can do for you.

Thanks idle, I already knew that but didn't guess that you could download edge rails from any of those commands. I thought you had to do a "gem install rails", perhaps with a parameter specifying you want edge rails installed. A bit like using beta software. What a relief then.