Topic: Cleaning Dev Logs

Is there a way I can get my dev log to expire on my local machine? I would like to have my logs cleaned out automatically once a week, because when I commit to SVN right now, my log is something ridiculous like 60MB

Re: Cleaning Dev Logs

First of all you really should remove ('svn remove') your logs from the subversion repository. They have no place there at all. Once you have removed them, ignore them using the subversion 'ignore' property. Try `svn propedit svn:ignore log`.

To truncate (reset to zero) your logs, type `rake log:clear`. You can put that command in a cronjob (if you're on Mac/unix) or At command (Windows). That will execute it periodically.

email the future with www.l8r.nu

Cheers!

looks like both threads I started can be solved with this problem.

Does clearing the logs cause any issue with concurrent running web apps using said logs?

Having trouble with the ignore thang

svn: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR is set, and no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option was found

I googled that sucker and it seems like I am supposed to setup a text editor to handle this task...but somehow that just dont seem right. Curious...

Take a look at the wiki page on setting up rails with subversion. It has some examples of how to ignore the log and tmp folders.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

pimpmaster wrote:

Having trouble with the ignore thang

svn: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR is set, and no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option was found

I googled that sucker and it seems like I am supposed to setup a text editor to handle this task...but somehow that just dont seem right. Curious...

I think you'll find you just need to specify a message with your ignore command.