Topic: Noob to Rails...

Hey, I've kept my eye on Ruby on Rails for a while, and decided to delve into it. Although, I do have a question as I can't figure out my ass from my head so far.

Do you develop rails applications on a local server, and then upload to a webserver?

Noob question, but, as I said, I can't figure out my ass from my head.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Noob to Rails...

I would say that MOST people will have a local development environment, usually setup on their own machine, where they can develop their application.  Once they've decided it's ready to face the world they will "deploy" the app to their webserver.  I say deploy because there's more that needs to be done than just uploading some files.

Re: Noob to Rails...

Sauce wrote:

Hey, I've kept my eye on Ruby on Rails for a while, and decided to delve into it. Although, I do have a question as I can't figure out my ass from my head so far.

Do you develop rails applications on a local server, and then upload to a webserver?

Noob question, but, as I said, I can't figure out my ass from my head.

Thanks in advance.

If your host is a shared host, then it's a snap since the server is already setup for you and you just upload your files.  For any serious Rails app, you would probably go for at least a VPS server but then you'd have to install Ruby/Apache/MySQL/Rails/Mongrel/SVN etc.  Fortunately the deprec gem does all that for you and it's really not that difficult.  In the 2nd case, you would setup a SVN repository for your code.  Then it doesn't matter where or how you develop as long as you commit to the repository.  Then when you're ready, you can deploy your Rails app from SVN to your webserver.  Your work cycle will look something like this:

1. Setup rails stack (i.e. Apache/MySQL/Rails etc)
2. Deploy (i.e. copy files from your SVN repository to your webserver)
3. Start Apache

if you need make changes to your code

4. "Pause" Apache
5. Deploy (along with migrations for your database)
6. Start Apache

Last edited by sthapit (2007-05-17 12:48:14)