Topic: OS X Server, Apache & permissions

Aargh...  The mega-unfriendly Unix underpinnings of Mac OS X...

I am trying to deploy my first Rails site on Apache.  The server supports multiple sites, each in a subdirectory of a directory "www" at root level on the hard disk.  Apache points to the correct directory for each site, and this works fine for non-Rails pages.

When I try to access the Rails site, I get an error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.everyaustralia.com Port 16080

If I load an index.html file into this directory this works - so it doesnt seem to be a problem with the permissions on the directory itself.

Am I pointing Apache to the correct directory?  (I am pointing to the base directory for the site, the directory which contains the app, components.config etc subdirectories.)

I tried to run console from the directory but I cant even figure out how to change directory into the www directory (I am stuck in users/administrator and cannot change to the root level www directory).  I thought HELP might actually help me here - but, no...

Has anyone else encounted this issue?

Re: OS X Server, Apache & permissions

You'll need to point the DocumentRoot of the <VirtualHost> to the public directory of your rails application.

There might be some other problems with the Apache configuration, have you edited the default httpd.conf or any other Apache config files?

hey Clayton...

document root of the virtual host?  you know even the language depresses me...  i have no idea what you are talking about.  i use the mac GUI to manage the settings for the various sites on the server - and they all work except the ruby one which chucks a wobbly...

so, no, i havent edited any config files.  do i have to?

Well to get a rails app running properly you'll need something like mod_cgi or mod_fcgi running along side Apache... OR Apache 2.2 with mod_proxy_balancer and mongrel.

This article is a little more advanced that GUI stuff but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/tim … no-and-you

thanks matey - that looks like a very helpful article...  wish me luck!  :-)