Topic: Development environment server and concurrent connections

Hello all,

So I'm developing a rails app and can achieve all CRUD when accessing my page via the browser and localhost...but I was wondering if I start the server (ruby script/server) and access it via another machine at my IP... 10.1.3.70:3000 which works, why can't I submit a form? I can browse around everywhere, my Ajax works...but if I try to create a new event for instance (users have events in my system) the create button just doesn't do anything. You click it and it's like it doesn't even try to post. Any ideas?

I'm using mongrel and am on OS X.

I think I did it before when I was running WEBrick on my windows box (which was my dev environment for my last project)...is this a limitation of mongrel?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jon

Re: Development environment server and concurrent connections

Are you using a different web browser? Try using Firefox on both the local and remote machine to see if this is the problem.

What happens when you use the IP address on the local machine? Does it work?

Also, check out the development.log, this will tell you if you are even receiving the POST request.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Actually I just noticed today that it works on firefox on a PC. But internet explorer doesn't let forms be submitted. The button just doesn't do anything. Is this common? I haven't check the dev.log yet. I will do so, but it seems that the page just isn't submitting.

Thanks!
-Jon

Sounds like a problem with the javascript. Browsers are finicky about this. It's a pain to get all javascript to work flawlessly on all browsers. If you post the code I could take a quick look to see if there's any obvious errors.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Thanks for the response ryanb, I thought the prob was fixed but it wasn't. Then I ended up figuring it out today. I had a form that was a partial "_form.rhtml" and I wrapped that in another form without thinking. My submit button was outside the partial but within the other form so Firefox let it submit the partial but all other browsers just didn't do anything when I clicked submit. I the submit into the partial "_form.rhtml" and now that everything is within one form all is well.

Thanks for the help!
-Jon