Topic: Error message trying to run 'rake test' after rails upgrade

I get the following error after I upgraded to rails 1.2.3-2.0 on Debian when I try to run 'rake test'.

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/version.rb:296:in `parse': Illformed requirement [~>1.2.3-2.0] (ArgumentError)

I updated config/environment.rb to reflect the upgrade, and it seems to work when I run 'rake db:migrate'.  I also tried editing the config to be 1.2.3 without the postfix 2.0, but that results in rails not being found when I run 'rake db:migrate'.  I'm using Ruby version 1.8.6.  Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Because it's what code craves.

Re: Error message trying to run 'rake test' after rails upgrade

i had similar problems on gentoo, i think i had to update rubygems.

Ya, my rubygems is up to date as well (0.9.0-6), but seeing how Debian's a binary distribution, I don't know what else could be wrong.  I also notice that I get the same error trying to run 'script/console'.

Looking into the source of version.rb, it's clear that the parse method is unhappy with the form of versioning numbers from Debian.  However, if one does 1.2.3 instead of 1.2.3-2.0, Debian is unhappy because it actually refers to the version of rails with the -2.0 suffix.

Doing

gem install -v=1.2.3 rails

fixes the problem, but takes you away from Debian's packaging system.