Topic: Performace issues on a shared host?

Hey,

Has anybody ever heard of performace issues with Rails on a shared host? I built this site which works great up to the point where people start to upload their pictures. The app starts to hang every now and then, especially when trying to upload larger image files (100KB and over). Some people now tell me this is due to the app being hosted on a shared host. Is this true?

Re: Performace issues on a shared host?

Yes, it's probably mostly due to the app running on a shared host. There's not really much you can do except to try to cache as much as possible.

If you have a "rails centric" shared host see if they offer a plan for around $15-$20 that gives  you 256MB dedicated memory so you can run mongrel instead of fcgi. That will give you a nice performance boost.

OK, thanks for your help. But do you think the site will be faster without RMagick? Most of the heavyweight lifting seems to be done by RMagick... Shall I kick it out?

Pixelateur wrote:

OK, thanks for your help. But do you think the site will be faster without RMagick? Most of the heavyweight lifting seems to be done by RMagick... Shall I kick it out?

Not really sure. I don't have much experience with RMagick, sorry.