Topic: Converting image formats???

So I have been using attachment_fu to upload images.  Does anyone know how I would convert uploaded images into a flash swf or flv file?  Is this possible?  What would I need to accomplish this?

Re: Converting image formats???

this question would be better suited in a flash forum. the short answer is yes. I'm assuming this is for a slideshow or somthing.  you can load images into flash though xml sheets/loadpaths and such. but the images will always be there in there natural image form.

--

I would like to keep the images in their original format which is a must, but upon being displayed in the view, I would like them to be rendered as a swf file.  This is not for a slide show.  Just a static display for an image, but they are copy protected.  Conversion into swf format is so people can't right click and download the images.  Using javascript to disable right click is not suitable for this requirement. 

The reason I ask here is I am new to ruby on rails, and web development, and flash, and have no idea on how to integrate this into a rails project.  If anyone has any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Is it possible to do the swf conversion with rmagick, minimagick or imagemagick?  If it is, where would I do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

Last edited by lambo4jos (2007-06-06 15:25:18)

Hmmm... if your just looking for the images to be displayed as flash in the view, I would suggest a client-side solution something like swfIR. You should just be able to drop the appropriate in the /public directory, and use it as you would in any other application (except with access to all Rails' niceties).

However you mention you can't use Javascript to disable right click, so are you perhaps staying away from Javascript?

Alex

Last edited by alexpt (2007-06-06 15:42:57)

flash is'nt really an image format so you wont be able to convert a png into flash. however you can display an image in flash. This is really a flash question.

there is no way to properly copyright protect an image(other than not showing it) basicly if you can see it you can copy it. theres nothing to stop somebody pressing print screen (or shift-clover-3).

Rmagick can put watermarks on the image, and you can disable(sort of) right clicking on images.

--

I was trying to stay away from javascript for rendering images for the case when someone has javascript turned off.  This would allow users to download the image with right click.  I would assume swfIR does not work if javascript is turned off and thus the image is shown in its original format being that it is javascript. 

If I am wrong please let me know.  I am still open to other solutions. 

Thanks in advance.

BasicMind:  Thanks for your responses.  I am now aware that even displaying an image in flash is still capable of piracy, but I am looking to make it as difficult as possible to grab the file, and a flash display is the closest thing possible without using javascript. 

I like that rmagick can put a watermark on an image, and have been looking into this feature.

This is really a flash question.

In regards to rails, how is this flash question incorporated into a rails project with rmagick, minimagick, or imagemagick?  Is there no easy way to do this without using flash assuming the three image conversion utilities I mentioned are not capable of doing this conversion?

Thanks in advance.

well upload the file as you would normal, use Rmagick (or whatever) to convert the size. (possibly rename the file) you can then imbed a flash file into an rhmtl the same as you would with html, as long as the flash file is looking in the right direction for the photo, you should be good.

I dont know any flash/actionscript but Im sure you could pull off the id in the url and have that look for the file that way. and if you have renamed the file you could look into a directory for file 123. or perhaps flash could access the database through which it could find the file.

--