Topic: EIDE with real autocompletion?

Hello,

Im having problems locating a EIDE with true autocompletion. More than being able to autocomplete on variables in the same document..

In case you dont know what I mean think java and eclipse..

Best regards
Brian

Re: EIDE with real autocompletion?

I think it's a feature RDT is working on.  I don't think one exists as of yet - I know I've heard a lot of people talking about how it's needed.

-Drew

We have full analytical IntelliSense (including code-completion that takes into account an object's type, its scope, its ancestors, mixins etc.) in Ruby In Steel Developer. You can find more info here: http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Evaluating … telliSense

best wishes
Huw

Ruby in steel has one major flaw IMO. It requires Microsoft Visual studio, thats silly considering ruby has nothing to do with it.

brianj wrote:

Ruby in steel has one major flaw IMO. It requires Microsoft Visual studio, thats silly considering ruby has nothing to do with it.

Fortunately our customers disagree... ;-)

May I ask why you decided to reject potential customers to limititing it to only Visual studio users? What made you not create a stand alone application or eclipse plugin?

brianj wrote:

May I ask why you decided to reject potential customers to limititing it to only Visual studio users? What made you not create a stand alone application or eclipse plugin?

We decided to use Visual Studio for two very clear reasons:

1) Visual Studio has an enormous market share. There is growing interest in Ruby among Windows users (this was even before Microsoft announced its Iron Ruby project) and yet nobody was providing Ruby support in Visual Studio. That seemed to us to be a glaring hole in the market. The fact of the matter is that regular Visual Studio users on the whole don't want to switch to other IDEs. Ruby In Steel means they don't have to.

2) Visual Studio is, in our view, the most powerful IDE platform available. It is, in fact, more like an operating system than an IDE. Its API, SDK, automation model and tools are truly vast. This is something that few people appreciate, I think. In fact, you would really need to create a VS IDE to understand just what a world class platform Visual Studio provides to IDE developers.

I realise that many people like Eclipse and I accept that it too provides a very solid basis for the construction of an IDE. There are, of course, already several Ruby IDEs for Eclipse - notably RADRails, but also others including CodeGear's forthcoming Ruby IDE. This is not a market we wish to enter.

As for a standalone IDE. Microsoft's recent announcement of the Visual Studio Shell - a no-language version of Visual Studio into which other IDEs can be incorporated - means that this now looks like a real possibility for us in the near future. The Visual Studio Shell hasn't yet been released (it's due with Orcas beta 2) so we haven't yet decided how (or if) we will make use of it. In principle, this looks like a very interesting development, however.

best wishes

Huw

Huw wrote:

Visual Studio has an enormous market share.

That is true without a doubt. However, I get the impression that most Rails developers come from Java or PHP. I have heard from very few who are actually converting from .NET. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have a colleague who thinks that a multi-tier system is the latest coup from Microsoft, although it exists since the 70's. He also was delirious about the former ATLAS, etc. I recognise the great grag-and-drop development methods in .NET, but from my experience it is very unlikely to get .NET developers over to Ruby. I tried that with my colleague, but he won't listen wink ... fair enough. Rails, at first, looks very cumbersome with typing all that stuff into the console and so on, but it is not as we all know.

I can't help but to get the impression that there is commercial potential behind Ruby In Steel in the future. Don't get me wrong, I will definitely try it out to see what it is like, but Microsoft or Microsoft related products don't normally turn out to be open-source.

You'd be surprised at how many Visual Studio people are using Ruby and Rails. Our customers include some of the very biggest software and hardware companies. You might also be surprised to discover that the split between people doing Rails development and those doing Ruby (without Rails) is - as far as we can work out from customer feedback - about 50/50. There is more 'pure Ruby' development going on than many people realise. wink