Topic: new Rails app; early adopters wanted

Hi folks,

I am launching a new rails app called l8r [later]. It will allow you to send emails later; i.e.. schedule them in the future instead of sending them right away. It works from your normal email address.

www.l8r.nu

At this time I would like to invite anyone reading this to test stuff out and get a feel for the app. It's not open for new users yet, but if you leave your details you will receive a personal registration code.

As a thank you all testers will be upgraded to a free paid account.

Not to mention that your user id will be less than 100; which is ultra-elite and will be worth tons of money in the future wink

I am also blogging about the developments at blog.l8r.nu

email the future with www.l8r.nu

Re: new Rails app; early adopters wanted

this sounds interesting. i've just checked the development blog, and i've seen the first online demo video as well.

i've got just a small question: why do people wanna send emails later and why would they wanna pay for this service?

anyway, the website works awesome (i mean what i've seen on the video)
big ups!

I've always wished there was a way to do this, sign me up!

I think it's one of those things that we, developers, take for granted. I mean, SMTP is a simple protocol. I was explaning how easy it is to fake email. When I explained it to her, I told her I could easily send email in her name, at any time in the future.

She was amazed. "You mean you can send email from my address, and I don't even have to have my computer switched on??"

It really showed how much normal people know about how email works. For them it's magic when they can schedule an email to be sent later without having to have Outlook open.

The service is free and can be used without much limitations for everyone. But for people who want to send large volumes, they have an option to pay extra. All in all it's been a great experience writing this app, and seeing it used is a huge reward.

Hey, congrats on the write up at Solution Watch. smile

http://www.solutionwatch.com/588/l8r-is … ess-model/

Always nice to see Rails Forum members doing well.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

wow, that's great!

Can this be set up to do something like "If you're reading this I didn't come back from my camping trip, send help" messages? That is to say, can I prevent a message from being sent if I change my mind?

Wow, that is an excellent angle! I hadn't thought of that at all (guess I plan on living for a while).

As a matter of fact you could, quite easily. You can always remove pending messages at any time (they're in a mailbox called Pending). So yes.

Maybe I should market this to the people-about-to-get-kidnapped demographic. Not quite sure how to reach them wink

Do you have a blog or website? I'd love to credit you for this idea!