Topic: Testing radio buttons...

Does anyone know of a good way to test that the proper radio button in a set is selected?  Test::Rails::ViewTestCase adds some custom assertions, but these don't seem to include anyway to easily add extra options/parameters to the the input tag.  There also is the assert_tag_in_form "primitive" that I could probably hack up, but that seems like over kill.

Anyone developed a useful way for testing this?

Last edited by NielsenE (2006-09-06 21:09:23)

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Re: Testing radio buttons...

Have you looked into assert_select? It's included in the latest edge rails. You can get the plugin otherwise.

I haven't really tested it, but from the examples I think you can do this:

assert_select "input[type=radio][name=foo][value=bar][checked]"

This will look for an input tag that has each of those attributes. assert_select is a lot more powerful too, definitely worth looking into.

Last edited by ryanb (2006-09-07 13:21:43)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Hmm, looks powerful, but I'm not sure I like it.  Partially because it conflicts with the more appropriately named "assert_select" from Test::Rails::ViewTestCase for testing select boxes.  And its syntax is kinda odd, while its more terse than assert_tag_in_form.  If I really felt like it, it might be interesting to look into making a parallel implementation of ViewTestCase that uses assert_select as its lower-level, non-exposed, work-horse assertion, while still having more usefully named and parametized functions built on top of it....

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

The syntax is very similar to CSS selectors (hence the name). It may take some getting used to if you aren't familiar with that.

I'm familiar with it; just getting spoiled by Ruby/Rails approach of making DSL's that still look like Ruby, so when another language is pulled in, it looks like a hack.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't see how a ruby-DSL would work for this kind of thing. assert_tag was an attempt at this, but assert_select feels more efficient. It's almost like regular expressions: there's a reason Ruby doesn't attempt to replace it with its own dsl, but instead accepts it and builds it right into the language.